Author Topic: Newbie in Chicago  (Read 2541 times)

RJ

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Newbie in Chicago
« on: May 31, 2013, 01:06 am »
Hello Everyone!

I moved to Chicago four years ago for college (just graduated a month ago with a BA in History and Sociology, woot!) and have been working in stage management for about a year and a half. My shows have either been Shakespeare plays or new works with very tiny and new theatre companies. I would love to get involved with bigger shows/musicals with bigger companies, but I'm going to grad school in the fall and am not sure how to best maneuver the scheduling of stage management, grad school, and making a living all at the same time. I was just told about this site today so I'm excited to utilize all of the helpful information that I've been trying to piece together myself.

RJ

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
Re: Newbie in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:31 pm »
Hello and welcome to SMNetwork, RJ!  If your grad school is not in Chicago, pay a visit to our Regional board so that you can connect and network with stage managers there to learn about opportunities in the area as you make the transition and figure out the right balance of school and work.  Glad that you discovered the forum; hope it proves useful to you.

Sarah.E

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Boston University
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:16 pm »
Hi! One of my majors is in Sociology (I'm a dual degree student also studying theatre)! Glad to have another sociologist/stage manager around.

SGU312

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, Syracuse University
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 08:55 pm »
Hi There! I've been in Chicago now for a year, stage managing for various theater companies.
Chicago is known for it's small, store front theatres. They typically rehearse at night and weekends because everyone has day jobs. I know some of the bigger theatres that operate under the Equity CAT contracts are limited to rehearsing at night for the same reason.
I've interned at the Goodman, and something to keep in mind with the larger companies is they typically rehearse Tuesday-Sunday (Monday is the Equity day off), and in the range of 10am-6pm. There is not enough time for a second job/school.
http://www.leagueofchicagotheatres.org/ is a good place to look for job postings.
Feel free to PM me.

Shane

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2013, 04:52 pm »
Hi and welcome to the site! Congrats on your recent graduation.