Author Topic: New here!  (Read 2360 times)

SwartzG

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Nunsense, Orillia Stage Company
  • Experience: Community Theatre
New here!
« on: May 07, 2014, 12:43 am »
Hello! I'm new here, and I just discovered this site today.

I will be heading off to Sheridan College this fall for my first year, taking Technical Production for Theater and Live Events program.

How ever, I have been in contact with my local theater companies here where I live. There is a brand new one that just started. I have been in contact with the president and founding director of the staging company. How ever, tomorrow afternoon, I have an interview to uphold a position of, well you name it, stage manager. I never stage managed before (have some ASM experience), and I can see there is a lot of responsibility in being stage manager, and I do not know where to start!

Since I am taking a big leap here into something I have little experience in, I will be lurking and posting and requesting some help in terms of stage management! So all the help I can get will be very grateful and appreciated! Thanks in advance!

All of this will help me be ready for school this coming fall with a lot of knowledge gained and I hope my experience in this production, as well as from this forum, will help me strive ahead of my soon-to-be peers and be a role model in my classes.

I am looking forward to this great adventure with you all. I will also, if enough people would like me to, post my ongoing progress, like a journal, of things I have learned, applied, and made mistakes and what I have done to correct it.

Break a leg!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:46 am by SwartzG »
A barrier only stretches so far...

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: New here!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:58 pm »
Hi and welcome aboard! There's a lot of great info here and I'm sure you can find some info that will help you on your journey. There's a search box in the upper right-hand corner of the page, which is great for finding posts relevant to your situation.

I would say, if you want to make a journal of your progress and journey, you should do it- not because people here want you to, but for yourself. It can be a really helpful tool for self-evaluation and improvement to reflect on past productions. But I encourage you to post questions and start conversations on SMNetwork about your experiences.

What's your favorite production that you've worked on in the past?

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Community Theatre League, SCCT, The Wilma
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:21 pm »
Welcome Swartz! Wishing you many broken legs. This community was a HUGE help for me when I first started Stage Managing. And several years later, I'm still here. You never stop learning!

The Forms section was incredibly helpful as I did my first musical and had NO clue what kind of paperwork would be needed.

Hope to hear from you as you progress. Don't be afraid to use any of us as resources. :) And WELCOME again!
"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life." - Oscar Wilde

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:31 am »
When I started college I was an English/Psych double-major, which, somehow in the course of a year, got turned into a theatre major. I'd never stage managed before and now I'm getting paid to do it (not, y'know A LOT but still). The start of a new company sounds exciting. Best of luck (er, break...cue lights?)!

SwartzG

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Nunsense, Orillia Stage Company
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 04:09 am »
Hey there everyone! Thanks for replying! Really appreciate it.

I have got the position as stage manager for an upcoming show called Nunsense. I don't start until July 14th, where everyday rehearsals start, and work continues until August 23rd. It is seemingly going to be a fun gig, did some research on the musical comedy, and I think I will get a good laugh out of it.

Aside from the show, I have ground on what work I will be doing related with stage managing in this production. I will be covering the light ops and audio ops, as well as calling the show and developing/holding the prompt book/bible. I have finished ordering the backstage bible on amazon as well as a copy of a stage management book. Going to hound these books profusely once they arrive by courier sometime this week. These books will definitely help me get started for this gig, as well when I start school this fall.

This will be my first paid gig in theater arts, with a huge responsibility. I am so looking forward to it, and I feel I am ready for the responsibility that comes along with this task.

So now, I will be heading over to a different sub-forum on SMNetwork to ask questions!

I would say, if you want to make a journal of your progress and journey, you should do it- not because people here want you to, but for yourself. It can be a really helpful tool for self-evaluation and improvement to reflect on past productions. But I encourage you to post questions and start conversations on SMNetwork about your experiences.

What's your favorite production that you've worked on in the past?

Yes, I will for sure. But would have to hold off for another two months, but I will for sure write down my progress of reading the two books and coming on here to share information, as well as ask to expand on information with something I may not understand, for now :)!

Well, I have only have official roles in two highschool productions, one being Pirates of Sign_Land and Enchanted Journey of Bella Wright. Both of these productions were held in a school for the deaf. I went to one in Milton, Ontario, Canada and I was technical assistant director for both these drama productions. Enchanted Journey was my favourite. It was written by a student at our school, and it was an adaption of The Wizard Of Oz. I have went to some theater productions throughout my life with my dad, who is an entertainment arts writer for the local papers and covers all the productions that comes through town. I also work at the local opera house here as back stage crew, nothing big, just doing load ins/outs. How ever, I did get a chance to spot for a ballet dance company from Russia, whom performed the Nut Cracker production. Very amazing show it was.

But I hope to be doing a lot more shows in the coming years, but I think my favourite shows will be those coming out of my college years.

When I started college I was an English/Psych double-major, which, somehow in the course of a year, got turned into a theatre major. I'd never stage managed before and now I'm getting paid to do it (not, y'know A LOT but still). The start of a new company sounds exciting. Best of luck (er, break...cue lights?)!

Same. I was going to school in Washington D.C. for politics. Took a year off back home, decided to get a job at the local theater, because of my previous experience in highschool drama, and my dad knows the tech director (so do I, which landed me the job), and when the production, Hair< came through town, (didn't get to see the show :( ), and seeing they tour, that is something I knew I wanted to do with the rest of my life. So I took a turn, within a week, I sent my application off to  a couple colleges and now I'm going to school for my dream career!
A barrier only stretches so far...