Author Topic: Merry Christmas, I'm Rosemary!  (Read 3851 times)

Rosie

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Merry Christmas, I'm Rosemary!
« on: Dec 25, 2019, 05:17 pm »
Hiya folx!

My name is Rosemary, I'm a senior undergrad at University of Washington specializing in stage management! I've only been SMing for a year, but it's quickly become my everything. I seem to have accidentally started specializing in new works - at least half of the productions I've been on are brand new plays.
I'll be graduating fall of 2020, so right now I'm hunting down internships all across the nation and looking at a handful of grad schools. Feel free to drop any advice about career building, resume making, shadowing, grad school, and interviewing - I'm always looking for more information!

And here's a fun tip I learned from an LD once: If you're in a space that doesn't have cue lights and you need one - rig up a bulb (clamp light, christmas lights, etc) to an extension cord and run it to a power strip in the booth. Then, you can use the switch on the power strip like a switch for any other cue light! I've used this in at least two productions, and it's come up on several more.

Happy holidays!

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Merry Christmas, I'm Rosemary!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2019, 08:37 pm »
Merry Christmas Rosemary, thanks for chiming in and sharing your experience. Another great find for all SMs at this time of year: tree light switches are great for use at a board when you don't have anything else (and they're made to be extra long for reaching outside lights or the top of Christmas trees, which is a bonus).
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

riotous