Author Topic: Long time reader, first time poster  (Read 1711 times)

SMscuba

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Long time reader, first time poster
« on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:02 pm »
Well, I read all the rules and stuff. And now I guess it's time to introduce myself.

I'm Sarah Ross, I graduated from Whitworth University a couple years ago with a degree in Communication. I've been stage managing in the Seattle/Tacoma area since I graduated, and I have enough black clothes to uniform a ninja army. I've been reading (lurking) for a while, and finally decided to officially join in.

A tip - I recently bought a giant scrapbooking bag to use as my SM kit. It's great because it has a ton of pockets and things. I spent an hour organizing everything, and was extremely happy with that hour  ;D

A tale - I was feeling burnt out a year or two back, and was considering taking a break from stage managing. I was working on a panto at the time (Cinderella), and things were...difficult. But then we opened. And I got to see the looks of joy on the faces of the kids when Cinderella "transformed" into her ballgown. I was reminded of why I love theatre so much.

A bit of trivia - According to QI (an absolutely amazing show, by the way) when the Mona Lisa was stolen from the Louvre in 1911, one of the suspects was Picasso.

Anyway, I'm excited to become a member of this great site, and learn as much as I can!

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Long time reader, first time poster
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:37 am »
Welcome!

I think I've seen that episode of QI (I'm a bit of a fanboy....) - I seem to remember Stephen Fry saying something about how the staff didn't notice, and only discovered it was stolen when a tourist asked them what had happened to the Mona Lisa!

Cx

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:48 am »
Welcome, and kudos for doing your research prior to posting.

We look forward to your contribution.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2014, 08:23 pm »
Wow wow wow I am behind on my modding duties. Not used to that hat yet, my apologies.

Welcome to Sarah and the ninja army! (If they're there. I generally play it safe and always assume there are ninjas present.)

I know what you mean by the moments that make it all worthwhile. The audience response is often the best part of the job. I can't fathom how film folk manage to keep going without that live feedback.

Thanks very much for joining properly. Please do make yourself at home. You're on the right track.

riotous