Author Topic: Introduction to Me!  (Read 3365 times)

jmclarke

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Dubai Parks and Resorts
  • Experience: Professional
Introduction to Me!
« on: Dec 16, 2014, 05:09 pm »
Hello, my name is Jenna Clarke. I am a recent graduate of UNLV in Las Vegas, Nevada. I generally work on community productions for various companies, and have been for the last 8 years, although I also have experience working as much as I can in college productions as well.
I am joining this network in order to learn as much as I can from seasoned professionals, as I am finding it rather hard to break into the "professional" circuit here in Vegas. I've had more than a good share of interviews, but the answer is always the same- and always seems to be due my level of "experience", or as I'm told, lack there of.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Introduction to Me!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2014, 10:13 am »
Hi and welcome, Jenna!

It can be hard to get those first few jobs. Have you considered an internship to gain experience? Or, applying for a lower-level position like production assistant? Do you have any connections from your university that you can use to help you get those first few jobs?

Check out the Employment board- it's got lots of info for job seekers.

jmclarke

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Dubai Parks and Resorts
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2014, 02:01 pm »
Hi Maribeth, thank you for the warm welcome!

I have considered internships, but unfortunately am finding it hard to be considered for them since I am no longer a student. I considered re-enrolling in order to finish my minor, but found that it wouldn't help as I am supposed to be seeking a degree in Theatre in order to be considered for most if not all internships. I am applying anyway, however.

Also, yes I have worked as a production assistant on various occasions, both for film and theatre.
And no, my university is less than helpful in that matter- I have plenty of connections outside of my university which have helped me get interviews so far.

Thank you for directing me to the employment board, I will peruse that and see what I can find.

Thanks again!

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2014, 04:38 pm »
Welcome Jenna ~
Hang in there, something will turn up.
All in good time...
Ordo ab chao

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Community Theatre League, SCCT, The Wilma
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2014, 09:28 pm »
Hi Jenna!

Have you considered Fellowships or Apprenticeships? They're a step up from Internships, and there are quite a few in some very respectable theatre companies and universities on the west coast.
But definitely don't get discouraged. Keep working for the small companies and build up your resume, and it doesn't hurt to see how you can get involved outside of Stage Management. Building a good relationship with companies can only help you in the long run.
"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life." - Oscar Wilde