Author Topic: Introductory post  (Read 3265 times)

Drunken Maenad

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Production Manager @ Odyssey Theatre Ensemble
  • Experience: Professional
Introductory post
« on: Apr 06, 2017, 03:04 pm »
Hello everyone! Long time stage manager, first time posting. My helpful trick that I learned from a fellow stage manager years ago is to punch the holes in my script on the right side of the page and put the pages in my book facing backwards so that I can turn the page to show the script on the left and a blank page on the right for all my notes and cues. This seems obvious to me now, but at the time it was a revelation.

Glad to be here!

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Introductory post
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2017, 04:57 pm »
Hello and welcome! I too am a fan of punching the script on the right, and putting a blocking page in on the opposite page. You can also cut the corner off of your blocking page, to make the page-turn easier- that way you're only grabbing one sheet at a time.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 02:40 am »
Yup - punching on the right is my favorite thing too. Though when there are script interns at some theaters, it seems to be the hardest thing to explain to them. I've finally had to break it down to "just give me an unpunched script".

If you have others making your original script copy for you - how do you ask them to do it?

ladynoirr

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 12:11 pm »
Hello everyone! Long time stage manager, first time posting. My helpful trick that I learned from a fellow stage manager years ago is to punch the holes in my script on the right side of the page and put the pages in my book facing backwards so that I can turn the page to show the script on the left and a blank page on the right for all my notes and cues. This seems obvious to me now, but at the time it was a revelation.

Glad to be here!

That's something that I've read about numerous times but I've never actually put into practice. Hopefully, I'll learn more about how to actually use it from here and during my internship.

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:16 pm »
Protip for folks who have access to a 2-sided copier that punches holes:
Put the "regular" 1-sided, un-punched script in the document feeder upside down. Set it to print "2 sided -> 2 sided," and 3-hole punched.
VOILA! You have a script punched with the holes on the "wrong" side.
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

riotous