Author Topic: Hello!!! Northern Jersey/NYC Stage Manager  (Read 1585 times)

salbano

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Hello!!! Northern Jersey/NYC Stage Manager
« on: Jul 14, 2013, 12:05 am »
Hello!

I figured I would post here. I've been meaning to (and even told by a moderator too!), but... I don't know what's been keeping me from doing it.

Well, anyway, I just teched a show today. And it was absolutely awful. Well, not awful because we got everything done! We did. And that's awesome. But I just need to vent at what I did badly and what's going in my mind. Okay? (It was five hours in a space we never saw before!)

I'm just out of college, and still trying to see how everything flows and goes together, and tech is always a huge ordeal. This was my first post-graduate tech, and... it didn't go too smoothly. I was unprepared with a lot, but I also was working with a new director (obviously!), and as I'm new at this, I didn't really discuss how we were going to do tech beforehand. He started taking the reigns, and I feel like he did that because he thought I couldn't. And I didn't take them back because I didn't want an upset director (which ruins tech!). It was a chicken and egg thing.

So I was upset about that.

Also, I was in the booth making both the sound and light cues. Creating the light cues and fixing the sound levels. So on top of all of the added pressure of trying to get through tech, I had to make the light and sound cues and write them all in my book.

Additionally, I was constantly getting yelled at because the transition guide for the crew that I wrote wasn't really good. I wanted to tell him there were a lot of reasons why; I didn't know how many people I had in crew, who in my crew could physically move what, from my experiences it is easier to give crew papers and have them write physically what they need do instead of giving them a sheet that is wrong and have to rewrite on it. A lot of other reasons too. I just thing it was an almost unfeasible task that was kept getting focused on, and while I do take the blame for not writing a good one, I just... I don't know.

SIGH.

But it still was a great experience. I learned a lot. A LOT.

And the show is going to be great.

But I just needed to vent.

HI, y'all!

=)

Good first impressions, right?
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2013, 12:10 am by salbano »

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Hello!!! Northern Jersey/NYC Stage Manager
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2013, 12:41 am »
Hi and welcome aboard. Everyone has a bad tech now and then, and it certainly takes a while to get your bearings. It's good to reflect on how things could have gone better- that's what will make you a better stage manager the next time around.

From how you describe it (a new space with limited tech time, SM creating cues, etc), your show sounds like part of a summer festival. That kind of situation can be stressful- and hindsight is 20/20. I would suggest taking some time to reflect on what can be done to make your next rehearsal better. (Updated paperwork, better communication, etc). Don't spend a lot of time beating yourself up- it's not productive. Just work on making things better next time.

We've all been there. I hope you take a look around and see what experiences others have shared- and share what you learn from yours. Best,

Maribeth

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Hello!!! Northern Jersey/NYC Stage Manager
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2013, 09:44 am »
Hello and welcome to SMNetwork.  Thank you for sharing your story.  Tech is stressful in the best of situations and it sounds like you had a number of challenges on top of what is traditionally expected.  You've taken a great first step in identifying the steps in the process that you were responsible for and want to learn and grow from on your next production.  Browse through the forum to hear other SMs stories.  Use the NYC/NJ/PA board in Regional to connect with local SMs to meetup with local SMs and talk in person.  I hope you find this forum to be a useful resource as you continue to learn and grow as a new SM.

riotous