• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Jerry Smith | Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
Hi All
« on: Nov 14, 2012, 02:06 pm »
Hey all,
     Long time reader of the board, and recently I've transferred into the BFA Stage Management program at Rutgers in New Jersey. A quick bite off of my theater background is that I've been involved backstage (never been onstage, and preferably will never be) since the 6th grade. Have been in various positions on SM teams basically since then including high school, and some community theater at college. I'm currently in tech as the ASM of Doubt: A Parable, we preview tonight, open tomorrow, and run this weekend.

I transferred from Rutgers' IT program so I have a pretty large computer background and am constantly looking for ways to automate the process (on my mac) of paperwork, forms, and what not. I also worked around with a website (currently at jerryksmith.com) because I like to code, it helps relieve the stress of life (kinda weird I know).

So that's a quick picture of me, I'm excited for the things I'm going to learn at school in the coming 2.5 years before I graduate and the great people that I'm going to be able to work with. I'd also like to thank this board for being in existence because it's already saved my butt on more then one occasion, whether it be a form, or a more simple explanation of some odd concept. So that's all!

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
Re: Hi All
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2012, 10:46 pm »
Welcome! You'd be surprised what people find helpful to relieve stress. Browsing office supply stores, for instance...totally normal. ;)

NJ.JerrySmith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Jerry Smith | Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2012, 11:39 pm »
Totally agree dallas,
     I wish I had more time to walk around the home depot, staples, and target that are right next to each other right down the road from my school. Can anyone say stage management paradise?

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Freelance
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2012, 12:30 am »
Hello and welcome to SMNetwork!  Glad to have you officially join and introduce yourself.  I worked on a production of Doubt a few years ago (just months before the movie came out, which seems to be a pseudo trend for me; it's happened on 3 shows for me--4 if you count that they announced the Willow Smith Annie while I was working on that show). 

And my Stage Manager paradise is The Container Store (which happens to be conveniently located in the shopping center next to the spa where I go for massages, aka my personal paradise;-).

elizabrenn

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2013, 03:51 pm »
Welcome to SMNetwork.org, Jtherman24.  ;)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2013, 05:20 pm »
Welcome, welcome, welcome.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.