Author Topic: Hello from Stockton, California !  (Read 1569 times)

craigvince

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SAG/AFTRA
  • Current Gig: ASM - 39 Steps
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Hello from Stockton, California !
« on: Mar 09, 2015, 12:37 am »
I've been in theatre (on stage) since I was 6 years old. I've been working for the past year or so as backstage crew in our local community theatre. I have just begun production of 39 Steps as an ASM, which will be followed by my first SM position for Legally Blonde, the Musical.

I'm very excited to be taking on these two projects. I have an amazing SM to work under for this first show, someone I have crewed for and been cast with many times over the past years so I know I'm in good hands. But still, I'm very apprehensive about the workload.

I'm very technologically inclined and my impulse is to automate everything I possibly can. However, my prediction is because of the dynamic nature of being a SM, the good old fashioned pencil and eraser is going to be my go-to tool. I'm very interested to hear others' perspective on this.

In our theatre, we primarily use Facebook as a communication tool between cast and crew, setting up a private group for each show. As ASM or SM, how can I best utilize Facebook with posting daily reports and scheduling updates? It seems like there should be an easy way to have a plug-in calendar that I can update easily and everyone else can view. I don't want to reinvent the wheel if others have found good solutions, of course.  :)

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Hello from Stockton, California !
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:08 am »
Welcome.  I'm a native Californian who moved to North Carolina. I am very familiar with Stockton.
 I've always relied on a pencil (really, pencils), having begun my SM career before the days of personal computers or laptops (or tablets).  That's not to say that I don't use technology  (making out my report so it's ready to send at the end of rehearsal) and for other tasks.
It's great that you have a good SM example to work with and learn from. This site is also very valuable for information, advice, forms and more.