Author Topic: Hello From an Accidental Stage Manager!  (Read 2332 times)

SMSarah

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Hello From an Accidental Stage Manager!
« on: Sep 21, 2013, 12:31 am »
Hello!  I've been lurking on this site for a while and finally decided to join.  My name is Sarah, and I am a recent college graduate currently stage managing for both a community theatre and a professional (non-equity) children's theatre (adult actors, young audiences) in CT.  I fell into stage management by accident- my freshman year of college I joined the student theatre group and was asked to ASM one of their shows.  The day before auditions the SM had to drop out due to illness and I was asked to SM, even though my only SM experience was from a project in a theatre class I had taken (we had a very small department!)  I had a blast and never looked back!   

I would like to learn how to be more of a professional stage manager since most of my experience has been with student theatre. 

Thank you!

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Hello From an Accidental Stage Manager!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2013, 12:40 pm »
Welcome, Sarah! I'm working in CT for the next few months - send me a PM :)

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2013, 07:05 pm »
Hi and welcome, Sarah!

ReyYaySM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2013, 08:38 am »
Hello and welcome to SMNetwork; glad you decided to officially join!  I would recommend looking into internships as a way to expand your professional experience and knowledge; click on Internships in the upper right hand corner of the site in order to find out about members' experiences at various theatres around the country.  You should also look into shadowing opportunities at professional theatres in your away.  Hope you find the forum to be a useful resource.

riotous