Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 1514 times)

VickyR

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Hello!
« on: Sep 21, 2014, 02:51 am »
Hello from Texas! I'm currently a student at Texas A&M and new to the theatre world. I started participating in the theatre productions here at my university during my sophomore year. I have stage managed once and ASM'd probably 3 or 4 times. I've become very interested in pursuing a career in stage management ever since! I will graduate this year and I am scared but excited about going out there to pursue my stage management career  :) I've been looking into apprenticeships and fellowships (though I'm not really sure what the difference is). I am really interested in wanting to do touring productions (or maybe even go abroad if possible) but I'm not sure where to start. I am also a bit confused as to how equity works. Help! 

jlunsford

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: The Memorandum with Oklahoma City University
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2014, 04:00 pm »
Equity can be a pretty big pill to swallow but there are lots of AEA members on here. I am currently at Oklahoma City University for Stage Management (although I am from San Antonio, Texas) and took a class last semester that completely focuses on Theatrical Unions. I also worked with an Equity theatre last semester through the school and joined the Equity Membership Candidacy program. I'm certainly no expert but I would be happy to either talking to you about what I know about the AEA or point you to where you may find answers to whatever you may be confused about. :)

Exterminate!
Jamie

VickyR

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2014, 08:38 pm »
Yes thank you! I was wondering if everyone had to join equity or how you even join. Right now I'm thinking (after graduation) to try and freelance but I'm not sure how that will work out. I would love the opportunity to travel, but I heard that with equity you can only participate with theatres that are in that equity program (or something of the sort).

riotous