Author Topic: Advice for a newbie?  (Read 3086 times)

c82mcdonald

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Advice for a newbie?
« on: Jan 09, 2014, 12:41 pm »
Hello. I am not new to the theatre but I am new to SM.  It's something I have always been interested in as an actress and finally have an SM angel to help me get started. Though I am really excited I am also really nervous!  I want to be the best SM possible so my question to you is this: What would you consider the best tip you could give to a new SM to help them make their first experience a rewarding one?

I look forward to your answers!

Carol

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Advice for a newbie?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:30 pm »
Hello and welcome, Carole!

This site is full of advice - about 14 years worth, in fact. As you poke around I'm sure you'll find more tips than you bargained for. :) However, the Intro board is where all us old school SMs pipe down for a bit so we can learn about who you are!

To get you started, please tell us a tip, tale or bit of trivia (for more info please see the "How to Post an Intro" thread that's stickied at the top of this board.

I'd also like to help you find the right board with the best advice for your production level. What sort of theatre are you working in? And what do you think a stage manager does?

c82mcdonald

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: Advice for a newbie?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2014, 10:20 am »
Trivia...did you know that no matter at what angle you look at Mickey Mouse his ears are always round?  I am a bit of a Mickey Mouse FREAK! LOL

I have been acting in Community Theatre Productions for about 2.5 years.  I was in drama in High School (30 years ago) and loved it but went on to get married and have kids and just left the acting behind for what I thought was forever.  Then I had the opportunity to audition for Annie (My favorite musical.) and actually got a small role.  I was hooked. I have been working almost non-stop and have been fascinated by all that the SM's do and how wonderful the ones I have worked with have been to me.

The SM's have an incredibly difficult job managing every aspect of the show. They are jugglers. They are psychiatrists. They are calendars. They are doctors. They are finders of lost things. They are alarm clocks. They are janitors. They are encouragers. They are task managers. They are painters and set makers. They are liaisons. They are costume fixers. They are hairstylists. They are make up artists. They are problem solvers. They are collectors of data. They are line note takers and prop managers. They are often overlooked and under appreciated as the grease that keeps the wheels of the show running smoothly.

So, why do I want to be a SM?  That's a good question!  I admire every SM I have worked with in every show I have done in the last 2.5 years and I want to be like them. I have been told that I will make a great SM because I have the ability to do all of these things with a smile. :)

riotous