Author Topic: your thoughts please (stood up for a craigslist gig)  (Read 5137 times)

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
  • Affiliations: SMA
your thoughts please (stood up for a craigslist gig)
« on: Jun 18, 2009, 04:25 pm »
Recently I had sent my resume for a light/sound board operator gig I found on CL. It was one of the few that offer to pay. The first email I received back said he would call me the next afternoon then he emailed again the next evening and said to give him a call because he wanted to see if I would work for him. Since we hadn't talked on the phone or even met yet he only had my resume and my website I saw a red flag so when I called him I asked all the usually questions I would have asked in an interview plus more. I didn't want to jump into it only because it was paying. eventually we agreed on the price and we ended the conversation by him saying "ok are we confirmed" and I said yes. 24 hours later. I received an email from him stating "hi bethany, i got a friend to do the lights for free but thank you anyway i just wanted to let you know as soon as possible,break a leg" I had had to rearrange so things in my schedule to accommodate the schedule of the show (nothing big just personal engagements)
I didn't reply to his email because I couldn't think of anything nice to say and didn't want what I said to be in writing for him to pass around or use against me.
I guess because of the way he was so quick to hire me with out meeting me I should have seen it coming.

so my questions are:
has anyone else experience something like this?
what should I do to avoid it happening again?
should I ask for a contract or a down payment before confirming?

EDIT: Title modified for easy browsing.  --PSMKay
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2009, 11:15 pm by PSMKay »

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
Re: your thoughts please (stood up for a craigslist gig)
« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2009, 03:23 am »
I certainly would not send a "thank you' or "consider me for other jobs" after what he did. It wasn't that it sounded like he hired me. He did hire me.
I understand that he would want to save money were he could and I can't really blame him for going with a friend that would do if for free. In some evil way I hope he gets his money's worth.

Another question.
Do any of you accept a job over the phone without a meeting first?

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2009, 06:50 am »
It's just my opinion, and the lawyer genes in my blood, but I don't count on anything until there's ink on paper (and/or a plane ticket when applicable). I am hopeful and optimistic about gigs, but I won't make any arrangements that can't be adjusted or that limit my other options until there's a formal commitment. I've seen it happen to SM friends taking gigs by word of mouth, internet postings, or even gigs that are coming through a series of interviews at very reputable professional theatres. Until there's a contract, there isn't a gig.

I've "accepted" jobs over the phone, with the understanding that a contract is coming later, plenty of times - especially for unusual or last-minute gigs. But I just don't count on anything until we've got a formal document.

SLY

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Sheena L Young
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2009, 04:31 pm »
I am all about signing contracts.

I've accepted jobs over the phone but that's after I've actually had in person interviews with them.

But to never have met the guy...that would be a little suspect for me.
Everything you can imagine is real ~ Pablo Picasso

MarcieA

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Lake George Dinner Theatre/Tri Cities Opera
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2009, 04:37 pm »
I've accepted many jobs over the phone, having never met the person. Sometimes it is inevitable, especially if the job involved relocating.

I do not however, consider a job really set in stone as mine until I see a contract or in the case of a showcase, agree to the job and have a meeting with the producer/director, etc.
Companions whom I loved and still love, tell them my song.

bethanyb5

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Bethany Briggs
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2009, 07:51 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone. I definitely learned from the situation and that is probably the most important thing.
Thankfully I hadn't canceled anything major to "commit" to it.

sievep

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AGMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2009, 06:24 pm »
I've definitely had this happen int he freelance world.  Unless you have a fully executed contract, the deal is not done.  And I ALWAYS make the producer sign the contract before they mail it to me. 

I would, however, definitely accept a gig over the phone although I had never met the person before.  I did it all the time.  Sometimes it's a great gig, sometimes not. 
"This lovely light, it lights not me" - Orson Welles