Author Topic: Work Samples for Applications  (Read 4075 times)

Nbayard

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: NIU, Stage Coach Players
Work Samples for Applications
« on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:37 pm »
As an SM what would include in work samples?  Rehearsal Reports, a scene of the script?  what? I dont know what to include?

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Work Samples for Applications
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:51 pm »
If I had been asked to provide a work sample via mail/fax/email I would probably include the following:

1 excerpt from a recent prompt book for a show of similar type - probably 4 pages (2 pages of script with the related 2 pages of blocking/notes/etc)
1 call sheet
1 rehearsal report
1 performance report
1 page of script extraction
1 detailed floor plan (if you have one to hand - the thing with floorplans is they are really hard to mock up)

Usually, it is just a matter of flipping through a similar production book and getting a sample of as much as you can, but keep it under 10 pages.

That said, if I was not specifically asked to provide a work sample, and was going to an interview, I would just bring the entire book from one of my shows (Well, provided I had enough notice to get one out of document storage)
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2008, 06:53 pm by Mac Calder »

Laura

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Re: Work Samples for Applications
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2008, 01:50 am »
If the "work sample" request does not define specifics, how would you feel about extra paperwork that you created for a particular show? Like a certain props tracking form or breakdown that you might be particular proud.

Also, could you define a "script extraction"?

Thanks for the advice.

riotous