Author Topic: Too Old  (Read 13691 times)

jmillbran

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/SMA
Re: Too Old
« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2007, 08:54 am »
I was interviewing for the "team"; I explained to the production supervisor that I was okay with the idea of 1st ASM-ing, because the project was so exciting (even though the bulk of my experience was as PSM).  I was setting myself up as someone who could both ASM and take on the responsibilities of PSM when it was required (calling the show, paperwork, dealing with a large cast and IA crew).  They ended up hiring people under 30, one of whom was given their card for the show.  Friends in stage management in that city later told me that the producers were very specific in wanting young kids for ASM's, and the PSM they hired was not much more experienced that her assistants.

I have no problem with producers granting (or paying off) favors to friends or people they've worked with before.  I would just prefer they not advertise nationally for stage management staff if they're not willing to fairly consider everybody who shows up (have you ever seen those ads on the Equity web site advertising for stage managers, and when they respond to your submission they explain that they meant only local stage managers?  Very frustrating...)
Joseph Millett
Resident Stage Manager
Clarence Brown Theater

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2007, 10:27 am »
This whole concept boggles me completely.  Stage managing is a very complicated job with a lot of responsibility and not a lot of, what most people would consider, reward.  You'd think they'd WANT someone with lots of experience.
Can anyone explain to me why there's this attitude out there?  'Cause I really don't get it.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #17 on: Jun 11, 2007, 01:23 pm »
Although a very complicated job and one the benefits from someone who could be older, here are some reasons why a producer may opt for a younger stage manager.

1) A younger stage manager may put up with long hours, etc, easier.
2) A younger stage manager/less-experienced stage manager usually comes with a "can do" attitude and not be as jaded as older stage managers.
3) In my experience, a younger stage manager does not bill for as much overtime as a more experienced stage manager.
4) A less experienced stage manager can off be manipluated easier by a producer - especially one that is hired by the producer as a "favor" or given their card - there can be a strong sense of loyalty.
5) A less expereinced stage manager is cheaper then an expereinced one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jmillbran

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 11, 2007, 10:21 pm »
Billing for overtime?

What's that like? :)
Joseph Millett
Resident Stage Manager
Clarence Brown Theater

LeslieDee

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 11, 2007, 11:27 pm »
Older doesn't necessarily mean more experienced...  I have had a few years stage management experience, but it was all ten years ago or more. 

I am ready to get back into stage managing and I am quite concerned with ageism.  I am more than willing to start over at basically the beginning, I just fear that I will not be given the same chances a younger person would be given...

LeslieDee
Leslie Dee

jmillbran

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 12, 2007, 02:33 pm »
Sorry, that was meant as a joke...
Joseph Millett
Resident Stage Manager
Clarence Brown Theater

Trevor7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jun 12, 2007, 08:49 pm »
I think ageism is wrong on all sides.  I am young (only 23) and working in NYC.  I sent a resume and cover letter to a dinner theater and got a phone interview.  The man loved my resume ( I don't put dates to try to hide my age).  This tactic was a suggestion from a professor.  The phone interview was going great until the man said "you sound young how old are you".  When I told him it was all downhill from there.

megf

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Former SM
« Reply #22 on: Jun 12, 2007, 11:45 pm »
Trevor7, I am in a similar position - based in LA, not NYC, but definitely in the same age range - and while I heard from a number of professors that including year(s) of work on my resume would reveal my age (and could, therefore, put me at a disadvantage), I choose to do exactly that so that potential employers can see exactly what kind of "package" I am as a SM. Sure, I'm not getting tons of offers for PSM work, but I feel better without any surprises in the interview. And it gets the age-sensitive types off my list quickly and painlessly.

That said, I agree wholeheartedly with those who have said that producers who get squeamish only *after* hearing about age aren't worth their salt. IMHO, it's petty and rude - hardly inspiring.

Meg

lauria

• Link Checker Supreme!
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #23 on: Jun 13, 2007, 01:53 am »
[quote author=megf link=topic=2111.msg14543#msg14543 date=1181706316
That said, I agree wholeheartedly with those who have said that producers who get squeamish only *after* hearing about age aren't worth their salt. IMHO, it's petty and rude - hardly inspiring.

Meg
[/quote]

Not to mention ILLEGAL in most (if not all?) states to ask for age before hiring (except to find out if you're under 18 for school/work issues)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #24 on: Jun 13, 2007, 04:20 am »
but trust me, even if they don't ask you age, looking over a resume it's pretty obvious.

again, another good reason to leaves years off your resume.  IMHO
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous