Author Topic: How do I make a short resume look more appealing?  (Read 5469 times)

rspining

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
How do I make a short resume look more appealing?
« on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:06 pm »
I'm narrowing down my "technical theatre" resume into a stage management resume. I only have three college credits in stage management (one as an ASM), but I love it and am determined to find stage management internships.

How can I make my resume look better when I have such limited specific experience?

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: How do I make a short resume look more appealing?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2013, 05:51 pm »
Personally, I think when you're younger and have less actual stage management experience, it's ok to have some non-SM credits on your resume. If possible I would limit them to theatre experience- backstage positions you've held, etc. I would put them in a separate category on your resume than your SM credits.

It's also appropriate to include a (short) list of related skills- do you read music, speak French, are you First Aid certified, etc. My personal thought with related skills- make sure they are truly related! I always think it's kind of silly when people have a huge list of skills and none of them have anything to do with stage management. I also include a short Education section and References at the bottom of my resume.

When you're just starting out I think that it's okay to have a lighter resume- better than cramming it full of filler. Add experience as you obtain it, organize the experience you have in a clear and legible fashion, and as you're able to, phase out less-related positions, like run crew.

I would check out the Resume Browser to see examples of what others have done. If you're interested in having an outside perspective on your resume, send me a PM and I'd be happy to offer suggestions.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2013, 06:10 pm »
I agree - now is the ONLY time I would recommend that you list other technical theater skills.

Often, early in a career, a SM intern, PA or even an ASM is going to have some sort of expectation to do other things - run crew tracks, props, etc.

So, by highlighting the other technical theater skills, you can sell your other skills.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2013, 08:06 pm »
Agree with all that's been mentioned. When I left college my resume included sound design positions, master carp, ATD of my college theater building, and a few other things. I did try to balance it so it didn't look like stage managing was an after thought.

SMs also tend to be viewed as a cure-all for productions. It's not necessarily how it should be but perceptions are hard to change. Having these things now will show you've experienced more than your SM resume on its own would relay. Only you can judge when it's time to eliminate them though. Mine went away about a year after I moved to NYC and I started to get a reputation as a sound designer I didn't want to have.

rspining

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2013, 11:32 pm »
Thank you all for your input! Your suggestions have been both reassuring and helpful. I have reworked my resume and feel happier with it.

Although I have experience in lots of other areas of theatre, I definitely want to be thought of as a stage manager. I limited my other positions to one credit in each area, which I hope will keep me from getting shuffled into other departments but still convey my ability to connect with those departments.

Gosh, I love this website.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:18 am »
Hmm...I was just going to say bigger font.  :)

Others have given great advice,  Highlight SM work, but include your other work until you don't have to anymore.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

babens

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA/AGMA/SMA
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:23 pm »
I would rather receive a resume that's a little thin with a great cover letter explaining that you are just starting out and are eager to learn than a résumé that's obviously padded. We were all pretty much in the same situation at one point ourselves, after all, and, hopefully, can remember what it was like to be at that early point in our stage management careers.

I'll add that it was a great feeling when I finally felt that I had enough credits to take all of those non-stage management theatre credits off my résumé, and even better when I got to the point where I had to start removing credits to keep the stage management resume at just one page long.

riotous