Author Topic: The importance of on line presence  (Read 12936 times)

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
Re: The importance of on line presence
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2016, 01:47 pm »
As a result, when you search my name, absolutely nothing related to me shows up, because there are 10,000,000 of me out there.

I had the same problem: a Google search for "Michelle Wood" came up with 100s of possibilities. That's why I use my middle initial professionally. "Michelle R. Wood" was a lot easy to do search targeting and SEO for, and I'm the number one and number two Google search most days for that (as well as the only one on IMDB). I request most theatres to use that name in promotional materials/programs for search result purposes (sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not).

I always recommend people do a search first before starting on an SEO campaign, and scope out what the competition is. If the results are sparse, go for it.
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

Mbalfour

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Re: The importance of on line presence
« Reply #16 on: Apr 11, 2016, 11:58 pm »
I'm very glad to say that my website MattBalfour.com comes up as the first result when you google me. I have a very plain website that's just a page with a bio, links to my resume and linkedIn, and contact info. At the point I'm at (a year left in school), I don't think many people are googling me trying to find me to offer me work, but I do think that it will become really valuable. We all know that so many more SM gigs get started by "I got your name from so and so" rather than a resume submission. And even if there's an application to submit, the people who get interviews are usually the ones who got a good word put in for them because the PSM knows someone who knows them.

riotous