Author Topic: Taking Apprenticeships after working as a Professional SM?  (Read 4842 times)

Branden

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
It's that awkward point in my career.

I've been working as a Stage Manager for a little while, having done a few months of corporate work and working for a Light Opera Company.

At risk of this whole post sounding narcissistic, I've worked as a SM on some decent quality productions.

Now I've been offered a nice Stage Management job in Chicago. It's an original work at a storefront theatre.

I think I'm ready (career-wise and financially) to make the move to the city. The gig doesn't pay incredibly well, so I'd pick up a part time job too.

The other offer I've been made is as a Stage Management apprentice at a small theatre on the other side of the country. It pays very little monthly, so I'd have to pick up a part time job as well. The only plus side is that it includes a few months of housing.

My problem is this; am I too far along to take an apprenticeship since I've been working professionally for a while?

The jobs are slightly different, and neither is enough to pay my student loan payment, so I'd pick up a day job.

Option 1)
Get an apartment in Chicago and work a day job.
Stage Manage Original work for 3 months for $450.

Option 2)
Drive/Fly Across the country and live in supplied housing.
Work a day job.
Apprentice a Stage Manager for a year and make $150 a month.

I'm not sure which to take, and where to go from here. Though I suppose it's a good thing to have two offers, I'm not sure which offer to take.

Thoughts?

Branden Scott Stewart

"What's next?"
-The West Wing

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Taking Apprenticeships after working as a Professional SM?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2014, 01:29 pm »
Again . . . be careful of advice - - - as no one is going to know your skill set, your marketability, etc, etc, or you career goals.

I understand why you are not mentioning the name of the second theater - but oddly, without the piece of advice to weight the name recognition or city of that theater, it's hard to give advice.

Private me if you want my two cents . . .
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 12:36 pm »
If I were learning a new skill set - say, moving from calling a musical to calling an opera, which can be very different - I wouldn't balk at an apprenticeship. Then again there's details you likely can't divulge that would help with more advice.

dance stage manager

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Canadian Actors' Equity Association
  • Current Gig: National Ballet of Canada
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2014, 05:50 pm »
Think a bit into the future.  After you complete whichever contract you decide on (SM or apprentice), which one is going to convince a producer to hire your as you continue on with your career, apply for the next position?  I'm not suggesting taking a job because it will look good on a resume; more that the choice you make is a step down a particular path.  If the apprenticeship offers you experience with a set of conditions significantly different from your past work experience, it may be valuable.  If you think the gig in Chicago helps you connect to the community there, perhaps that's more compelling.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2014, 11:35 am »
It seems from your previous posts that you've graduated within the last year. If that's the case, I don't think that's been too long to take an apprenticeship. But, I agree with previous posters about choosing the gig that's right for you and your career.

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2014, 05:49 pm »
You could even do neither if you wanted! The possibilities are endless...
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

Branden

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2014, 11:53 am »
You all make very valid points.

You could even do neither if you wanted! The possibilities are endless...

Especially BARussell. :)

I think that I'm going to take the offer as a Stage Manager. Even though it may not pay as much, it will give me a chance to explore my craft further, and practice more.

Branden Scott Stewart

"What's next?"
-The West Wing