Author Topic: Question about invoicing  (Read 3029 times)

KimiKay

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Question about invoicing
« on: Apr 13, 2008, 07:46 pm »
Hi all,

This is my first new post on this forum, I have been reading and learning for about a year now, but this is my first new post.

I have stage-managed about 7 shows, most of them for local community theaters, so while I do get paid sometimes it has not been a professional thing. I am also a student at Cal State Fullerton.

So I just took on my first real professional job, so here is my question. I was approached about this job by the lighting designer, when he told me about the job he mentioned that the pay was negotiable but was x amount. I gave him my resume he passed it along and ultimately I was hired. Today I was contacted by production manager today, to fill out a few forms and he asked me to send an invoice. I am not sure what to do because I never discussed the amount with him, should I just bill for the same amount that the lighting designer mentioned? Or should I ask the production manager and if I do that how should I ask? Since this is my first professional show, I want to make the right impression, and not seem like I don’t know what to do, ya know? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Question about invoicing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2008, 01:25 am »
I would bill whatever you discussed with the lighting designer.  When you hand off the invoice, emphasize that they should feel free to contact you should there be any questions.

KimiKay

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2008, 01:32 am »
Thank you for the input! I appriciate it!

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2008, 09:03 am »
I would speak with the Production Manager before submitting the invoice.  I'm sure the LD means well but until you speak with the boss it's ultimately hearsay.  Until you speak with the PM you don't know if x amount is what the PM has in mind or not. 

In the future I'd suggest agreeing on salary before you take a job.  This seems like a pretty backwards way to do things (at least in my experience, maybe others have different experiences).  Hopefully everything will work out fine, but this kind of situation can sometimes create a lot of problems.

Congrats on your first professional gig and welcome to SMNet!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

nmno

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2008, 10:36 am »
You could call the PM and say "I'm in the processes of completing the forms and drawing up an invoice and just wanted to confirm that the rate was X" (assuming you were happy with X as the rate) It's a little less presumptuous than handing him the invoice with a $ but also doesn't as easily allow him to say the rate was something lower.

Don't beat yourself up about it, about being professional...  (I question the "professional" PM who hires someone without discussing their rate!)  It's a learning experience...