SMAshlee

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Porchlight Music Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
SETC
« on: Oct 20, 2012, 07:17 pm »
I am considering going to SETC this year, but I'm an AEA member.  Has anyone attended SETC and found work?  Has anyone been a union member, attended SETC, and been hired through a union contract? 

I had several friends attend a couple years ago but they were not union members at the time.  Registration is a little pricey right now on top of traveling to the conference, but I want to make sure it will be a great experience as a union member.

Thanks!

Samazon

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UNC Greensboro, SMA, AEA
Re: SETC
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2012, 11:20 pm »
I've attended the past three years as a student and while I haven't been able to land a job solely through  that,  I was only focusing on finding summer work. Mainly what I heard a lot was that summer companies were using SETC as their final stop in the hiring process and many had already hired SM positions.  That  being said, it looked like the year round companies were actively looking which I did not talk to as I had no reason in past years; there were also one or two opera companies looking to hire as well.
“All things are possible until they are proved impossible and even the impossible may only be so, as of now."

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2012, 10:25 am »
I've gone and found work, but not as a union member, and I don't remember there being much, if any, union work offered to be honest, most of the positions are for non-union or students.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:50 pm »
I've gone and found work, but not as a union member, and I don't remember there being much, if any, union work offered to be honest, most of the positions are for non-union or students.

This. SETC is so late in the game, they are usually there to fill out the rest of their production teams, mainly internships and general technicians. There was next to no AEA there. They are mainly catering towards students trying to find summer work in-between semesters. The workshops and seminars are even geared towards youngsters. The SM workshop I went to was how to set up a prompt book and what should be included. So, it's a good conference for experience, but not for professionals, especially at the 200-dollar price tag.

abryan

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2013, 12:50 pm »
That's a little discouraging.  I was really looking forward to it, as last year I was stage managing a show and wasn't able to attend.  I'm looking for year long work, and now I'm a tad bit worried that I won't be able to find anyone willing to hire me.  Not that that's the only way I'm looking for jobs, but still.