Author Topic: Salary Negotiations  (Read 5620 times)

Erin_Candice

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek
  • Affiliations: None... but open to invitations!
Salary Negotiations
« on: May 19, 2006, 12:50 pm »
I'm just getting to the point in my career where I can start negotiating salaries.  I always feel a little intimidated when asking for stuff in my interviews.  I guess I've never been taught how to negotiate, but I need a living wage ($275 a week is less then a wal-mart cashier).  Anybody have any pointers?
"At three minutes past eight, you must dream."
~Sir Ralph Richardson

Go to http://www.cafepress.com/theatregeek NOW!

SM_Art

not always about the $$$
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 09:02 pm »
It's not always about the $$$ when negotiating.  I've known SMs to negotiate for billing, or gas/parking allowance, or health benefits beyond the contract term or many other non-contractual items.  Think, as they say, outside the box and decide what they might provide that you'd like to have as a bonus.  Often, if it's not a 'bottom line $ amount' they'll be more open to it, and you can get something extra which might not disappear from taxes anyway!

Art

Erin_Candice

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Salary Negotiations
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 11:29 am »
I know it's not always about the bottom line in theatre... but for those people that send me bills, the only thing they care about is the bottom line.  It would be different if I was still in college or fresh out and not paying on student loans, but I'm well past that and I've racked up a lot of debt continually moving to the next gig.  I love my job, but I may have to take a few years off just to make up for the squat I've made in the last three years.  I know budgets are tight across the board in theatre, but after bills are paid (student loans, credit cards, rent) $275 would leave me $80 a week short and I still haven't eaten.  I don't have a car, so that's not even an issue.  Why are we not paid even up to Wal-Mart standards?  I know this will change as I move up the totem poll, but still.
~Sir Ralph Richardson

ivonne516

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Salary Negotiations
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:01 pm »
Erin-Candice, I feel your pain. I had not been doing this long, about 5 years for money, and at this point, I am still not  making ends meet.  Perks are a good thing.  But getting transportation money does not take care of my other needs.  With all the stuff that you need to get, job related materials, and if you are part of the union, dues and the likes, a stage manager is left with very little money.  There are no savings that can help you while you are looking for the next job, or until your first paycheck, which depending on the contract, could be a week, or at least a month, sometimes.  Perks and other stuff are ok, but right now give me MONEY.  I need it, I can't make it to rehearsal if I can't afford to pay for train and bus fare.  Getting a another job while working a show, sometimes is almost impossible, because stage managing is very time consuming, not to mention that your employer has to deal with the fact that you will be missing days of works once awhile, and they probably won't be pleased with that.
I say be willing to negotiate, and go for what you want.  You want money?
Go for that.  Actors do it all the time, why not you? Are you going to get the money that you want?  Probably not, but you won't know if you don't ask.
Ivonne

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
salary negotiations
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 03:18 pm »
I've spent many years as a freelance SM, but I've also been the hiring PM on the other side of the table. Depending on the theatres you're applying at, there may be more money than you think. Don't sell yourself short because you feel bad asking that 501(c)3 theatre for a raise. Chances are, the money is actually there. But they may or may not be able to afford to give it to you. Be honest with the theatre about your needs, and they'll be honest about their resources.

You didn't mention where you're working, or what types of theatres/contracts, but my biggest recommendation to you would be to join the Stage Managers' Association, subscribe to ARTsearch, or just start sending your resumes out - you've got to start competing for the jobs that pay a living wage. They are out there! You may have to travel; you may have to tour; you may have to learn new skills (foreign languages, reading music, rigging lighting); but the other half of being a high-earning SM is cultivating a superior skill set. Meanwhile, you could be spinning your wheels with great theatres that don't pay you what you're worth. You're a professional, and you deserve to find a place that can pay you like one.

Finally, you mention the intimidation factor - don't handicap yourself when asking for what you deserve! Yes, it's easier said than done, I know. But you've got to fire yourself up and really believe that you're worth what you're asking. Don't be ashamed - just be honest. If the theatre doesn't have the money, they'll be honest with you. Read a few business books on salary negotiations - they apply to theatrical jobs and non-profit theatres, too. These books could help you understand that asking for a certain salary won't destroy your chances of getting the job and won't make you look greedy - it's just a conversation you'll need to have as you fight for your living wage in the arts.

Erin_Candice

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Salary Negotiations
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 04:19 pm »
I have been subscribing to ARTsearch for about 4 years now and is where I find most of my jobs.  I've been holding off on the SMA because of the fees (I can only afford one $60 fee at a time).  I've spent the last two years as an ASM in LORT B/C theaters.  This summer I will be going to a small non-Equity summer musical theater as PSM, which is where I'm trying to negotiate.  Sometimes I think the most frustrating part in this is when someone says "But they provide housing".  That's great, but I have a boyfriend, a cat, and an apartment that still needs to have the rent paid.  I can't imagine if I lived in NYC and my rent was $800/month for a room in an apartment.
~Sir Ralph Richardson