Author Topic: resume format  (Read 95494 times)

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: resume format
« Reply #75 on: Apr 23, 2019, 07:34 pm »
I have two resumes- one that is mostly a list of productions, and another in a more "narrative" format that lists jobs held, dates, and responsibilities that were associated with the positions. I include my stage management experience as one "job" on this resume, but the responsibilities listed with it are more detailed.

Depending on what kind of job you are applying for, you could create a resume that best fits. For stage management positions, I usually send the "list" format, and for other positions the "narrative" format. Or you could do a combination. For a while I had a "Related Experience" section on the list resume, which had production management/special events positions.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2020, 01:18 pm by Maribeth »

mizi5620

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #76 on: Jul 18, 2019, 05:00 pm »
I've always heard that one page resumes are standard but the more shows I work on the harder it is to keep my resume to one page (even when I am only listing selected productions). Do you all agree that resumes should be one page or is your resume 2 page?

NJ.JerrySmith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Jerry Smith | Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #77 on: Jul 19, 2019, 11:21 am »
For those PSMs who don't call all the shows in their companies season, how do you go about listing that position on your resume?

Specifically, at my summer stock me and another stage manager swap calling and assistant responsibilities for a 4 show season. But I'm the PSM because I take care of ordering supplies, managing smaller concerts and events, general production catch-all work. Listing all shows with the title of PSM feels a little disingenuous to me. Thoughts? Examples? Thanks in advance.

-J

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #78 on: Jul 20, 2019, 08:29 pm »
It varies what kind of position I'm applying for, but sometimes I've listed  that I was the PSM for an entire season, with "Highlights include" and then the shows I actually called (or a selection of them appropriate to the job applying for).

BenTheStageMan

• Contributor
  • Sometimes all you need in life is a little Blue.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Olney Theatre Center, Olney MD
« Reply #79 on: Jul 23, 2019, 10:50 am »
I have the shows I actually worked on listed with the rest of my shows.  I have a related work section where I list my Resident PSM Position, plus my event tech positions.  I don't list the shows I supervised as PSM or the ones I subbed on.
"Show people are doomed!  Doomed to a life of booze...and pills...and heavy meals late at night!" -Judy, "Ruthless!"

NJ.JerrySmith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Jerry Smith | Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #80 on: Jul 29, 2019, 10:54 am »
Thanks for the suggestions!

riotous