Author Topic: Resident SM  (Read 5238 times)

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Resident SM
« on: Aug 18, 2006, 03:19 pm »
So here is my question,

I am now the Resident PSM at a SPT. The theatre has had a new stage manager every year for the last 5 or so years. Usually the SMs are happy to leave so there is not much communication from one SM to another. Outside of normal SM responsibilities, what else do you do as a staff member in your theatre?

Thanks for your responses.

SM_Art

Re: Resident SM
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2006, 01:10 pm »
Much of what you'll be asked to do, no doubt, relates to 'prep' work in between shows, such as copying scripts or sides for the next auditions, archiving old prompt scritps or scores, and keeping the 'continuity' going so that what is learned from one show is applied to the next.  If you're the common factor, then helping new directors or musical directors 'adjust' to the way your company likes to have things done will help avoid problems before they start.  Depending on how much staff there is at the company, you may end up overlapping duties with a general manager, such as booking rooms for visiting artistic staff, etc. but I would ask for something extra if that happens, as you'll be doing work outside the usual SM boundaries.
You might be able to negotiate for health benefits, eg, even when not on contract....
Since it's SPT, I'm guessing you'll be damn near an assistant producer in reality....

Art

SMJorge

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2006, 03:02 pm »
Thanks Art. That sounds like the kind of stuff they want me to do, I just didn't know if that was "normal" in other theatres.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2006, 08:12 am »
For my theatre, with the very long title of Resident Production Stage Manager . . . besides my normal show duties, we have come up with the following additional duties.

1) Hiring of entire Stage Management Staff (with veto power given to production management as needed)
2) Supervision of other SM teams, train and orientate, serve as a resource for outside SMS
3) Attending ALL production meetings
4) Attending Management meetings.
5) Give input into calendar and production issues as needed.
6) Work on policy and procedures for the SM department, especially as we continue to grow

It's nothing too much out of the ordinary, and all stuff pretty much I volunteered to do.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

kjdiehl

• Permanent Resident
  • The Turtle Moves.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2006, 02:17 pm »
Matt, I'm curious. Do you request any sort of extra compensation for your extra duties? When I've been in similar situations, I've done pretty much the tasks that you detail, but the one thing I've been careful to draw the line on is extra meeting time. I've got no problem with an extra occasional staff meeting or some such, but every production meeting for not my shows could get out of control- esp during tech, with 2 or 3 shows in various stages of production.

(And say hi to Amber and Meg for me!)
-Kris Diehl, AEA SM

"Somewhere in the city there's a stage manager waiting,
standing in the shadows with a clipboard in hand..."

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2006, 06:14 pm »
You know Amber and Meg.  Wow.

I feel like I should know you . . . I have a sneaky suspescion we may know a lot more people in common.

I am paid quite a bit over Equity Minimum for extra duties; and as long as my extra duties saty with in my weekly hours I am find, once they go over that . . . I bill for overtime.  (I actually work for a theatre that will pay for overtime.)  I am also in a staffing position where if there is a meeting or something, I can bow out of rehearsal for an hour or so.

It works out nicely, and I never feel like I am being taken advantage of.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.