Author Topic: Rejections  (Read 2195 times)

Markie426

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Rejections
« on: Oct 31, 2011, 02:27 pm »
 In the world of Acting or theater, why is there more rejection than acceptance? Why is this field so difficult to get in? Another question, why is harder for people of a bigger size to get acting roles? I know discrimination will never end, but it needs to decrease. I'll take all answers. -Markie426

Scott (formerly Digga)

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Scott Pomerico
  • Affiliations: Actors Equity Association, Stage Manager's Association, Alpha Psi Omega
  • Current Gig: TheaterWorks Hartford
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Rejections
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2011, 02:39 pm »
The field is difficult because the opportunities are much more limited than most jobs and the applicant pool is very large.  Any time I've interviewed for ASMs I've received anywhere from 20-50 resumes from perspective individuals (and I'm sure others in larger theaters receive more) and this is just for 1 open position. 

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Rejections
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2011, 05:09 pm »
The market is flooded.  Flat out, there are probably 40-60 people qualified for every job posted.  In NYC there perhaps 1,000 stage managers competing for the 47 or add jobs in commercial theatre.  It's a fact of life.  Too many schools are putting out too many stage managers, many of them not prepared for the hard reality of this job market.

And regarding bigger size and acting - well, theatre quite frankly is a visual medium - and your size says something about you when you are put on stage.  Can you imagine a production of Romeo and Juliet, where the Romeo weighed 400 pounds, and everyone else was normal weight?  It would say something, you can just slip it in.  The rough part about acting is it is based on looks first, talent second . . . hundreds of headshots may be soured before scores of auditions are scheduled.   Like it or not, that's the medium. 

Show Business is an EXTREMELY hard business to make it in.  It requires a lot of hard work, patience, drive, commitment, education and schmoooooozing.  It's not a fair business at all - NOT AT ALL.  99% of the jobs are never posted, never advertised never take cold submissions.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.