Author Topic: Questions for Interviewing SM's  (Read 4767 times)

dee4156

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA, AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Questions for Interviewing SM's
« on: Dec 09, 2008, 06:57 pm »
Hi guys.. I've found myself over the last few years as PSM, being in the position of needing to hire SM's and ASM's. I am quite comfortable doing so and usually get a good feel for people, however I judged poorly recently and am reflecting on just how hard it is to judge how an SM will do from an interview. I'm curious to ask:  If you had to interview an SM or ASM, what would be the most important things you would ask and/or look for. Funny.. the one that didn't work out was a phone interview. I've never gone wrong in judgment from a face to face interview :)
Thanks,
dee
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid" ~John Wayne

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
Re: Questions for Interviewing SM's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2008, 07:52 pm »
Hi guys.. I've found myself over the last few years as PSM, being in the position of needing to hire SM's and ASM's. I am quite comfortable doing so and usually get a good feel for people, however I judged poorly recently and am reflecting on just how hard it is to judge how an SM will do from an interview. I'm curious to ask:  If you had to interview an SM or ASM, what would be the most important things you would ask and/or look for. Funny.. the one that didn't work out was a phone interview. I've never gone wrong in judgment from a face to face interview :)
Thanks,
dee

Well, there is one indication: face to face is important.  I think I'd personally do better being interviewed in person rather than on the phone anyway.

I don't know what you ask or are interested in, but I'd ask character type of questions.  Put in such and such situations, how would you respond/how HAVE you responded....etc.
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2008, 10:28 pm »
When I was gearing up for my internship interviews post-college, my SM advisor had me do some practice-run phone interviews to get pointers (and to get rid of my absolute terror of interviewing...)

One of the women I mock-interviewed with did something really interesting that I always remember now-- she intentionally did things to get me angry (cutting me off mid-sentence, being just-on-the-edge-of-rude, asking me questions that didn't make sense.) She told me afterwards when she was giving me her comments that that's something she often does when interviewing over the phone, just because it's so important for SM's to handle annoyance well and it lets you see past the "I'm interviewing" facade.

I'm not sure if that's common practice or not, but I'm sure doing it shows a lot about the interviewee!

Amie

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Amie S. Bajlaieh  - Stage Manager. Producer. Artist.
  • Affiliations: Crossroads Theatre Company, Rutgers University
  • Current Gig: Producing Associate, Crossroads Theatre Company
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:53 pm »
When I was gearing up for my internship interviews post-college, my SM advisor had me do some practice-run phone interviews to get pointers (and to get rid of my absolute terror of interviewing...)

One of the women I mock-interviewed with did something really interesting that I always remember now-- she intentionally did things to get me angry (cutting me off mid-sentence, being just-on-the-edge-of-rude, asking me questions that didn't make sense.) She told me afterwards when she was giving me her comments that that's something she often does when interviewing over the phone, just because it's so important for SM's to handle annoyance well and it lets you see past the "I'm interviewing" facade.

I'm not sure if that's common practice or not, but I'm sure doing it shows a lot about the interviewee!

Nothing gets more "real life situation" than those sort of encounters. As stage managers, I'd say we deal with quite a bit of that type of encounter and still have to focus, hold our ground, and be informative and clear. Etc. Etc.

Thanks for input here.... I actually had no idea interviewers would do that. Fascinating...and smart.
~ Amie ~

“This whole creation is essentially subjective, and the dream is the theater where the dreamer is at once: scene, actor, prompter, stage manager, author, audience, and critic.”

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:58 am »

I don't know what you ask or are interested in, but I'd ask character type of questions.  Put in such and such situations, how would you respond/how HAVE you responded....etc.
[/quote]

I agree with the above--what is their response?  Is it in line with something you would do? Is it something you've never considered before?  Or--is it just a bad decision/response...how long does it take them to respond? (how quick are they thinking on their feet!).

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2008, 12:02 pm »
I also try to do at least one of the "interviewer tricks" to get the candidate out of their comfort zone while in the interview. I like asking unexpected questions, or getting sharing a funny story - seeing whether they have a sense of humor is essential! It's hard for me to be intentionally rude, but I've heard of this before as a technique to observe candidates' reactions. Everyone is a little nervous as you begin the interview, and so I like to move away from the typical questions (what are your strengths? weaknesses? work style? how have you handled [blank] situation?) as quickly as possible. If the interview can become more like a real conversation, even over the phone, you'll be able to tell whether this person is a match for you or not. And knowing if the candidate is a match is the imost mportant thing that isn't on the resume. 

BeckyGG

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2008, 01:53 pm »
I feel like I'm really hit or miss when hiring, but feel like I'm getting better.  I've actually conducted the vast majority of my interviews over the phone.  One questions I always ask, and feel gives me a good idea about the candidate, is what they like about stage managing.
CHAOS: Where Brilliant Dreams Are Born
Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be Chaos
Before a brilliant person begins something great, they must look foolish to the crowd.