Author Topic: Overhire?  (Read 4058 times)

sarahbear42

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Overhire?
« on: Nov 17, 2008, 04:27 pm »
So I'm sure this is the wrong place to post this but I couldn't figure out where it would be most appropriate. :)

I just accepted an overhire position for a lighting load-in for next week, and I'm more than a little scared of it. My secondary emphasis in college was in lighting, but in the 2 years since college I haven't really touched a lighting instrument, and everything I heard in college about professional lighting (usually screamed by angry lighting professors during slow-moving focuses) was that pro hangs are very fast paced and no-nonsense. The logical part of my head says that I'll be fine (and that my credit card bills need me to be working more) but the rest of me is going "oh crud what have I done?" since it's at the biggest place in town, where I do NOT want to be summed up as an idiot!

I'm sure people on here have done these before, can anyone give me some pointers on what to expect? Should I bring my own wrench? Etc. (Or feel free to calm down/shut up, too! For being a generally calm SM I freak out about my own stuff way too easily...)

ewharton

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Overhire?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2008, 05:37 pm »
First I would say calm down, you'll be fine. While you might be rusty, you have the knowledge and it will come back to you as you do the work. I also work on overhire crews to supplement my income and I don't have many issues. I also haven't had any formal education in lighting, what I know I've picked up along the way.
Absolutely bring your own wrench. They often don't have extras on site. If you have a multi-tool I would also throw that on your belt along with a mini mag (or some other flashlight).

Scott

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2008, 11:24 am »
Should I bring my own wrench?

Yes, absolutely!

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2008, 12:44 am »
Bring your own wrench and a method for attaching it to yourself, for ladder/lift/grid work.

I do overhire work sometimes, and I'm not at all an expert in anything. But as long as you know the difference between different lamps and the basics of focus, you'll be fine. I think regulars know that overhire folks are generally a mixed level of skills, and are prepared to deal with that.

yoyomankind

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: USITT, Phi Kappa Psi, SMA
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2008, 02:39 am »
I usually bring a cheap headlamp, rather than my mini-mag, since it allows you to have hands free light.  You can find some cheap ones for $10-$15 that will work just fine for such situations.

riotous