Author Topic: Money Matters...  (Read 4354 times)

cataj

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Money Matters...
« on: Jul 02, 2008, 05:37 pm »
I've been offered a job to stage manage for a fringe festival starting in a week going until the end of august. They said that they don't have a lot of money but asked me what I'd need to come on board. What is a reasonable amount to ask for?

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Money Matters...
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2008, 07:00 pm »
Calculate your expenses, we cannot do it for you (as everyones lifestyle is different) - If you really want the job, and are not too concerned with making a profit, add up all your monthly expenses, add  a bit of "play money" and a bit of "emergency money" and give them that figure.

Or, you could look at union rates and base it off of that.

ewharton

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Former SM
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2008, 11:44 pm »
If this is the NY fringe, they often don't pay very well at all. I have several friends who have done the fringe and their pay has ranged from nothing to about $700.
Make sure you calculate expenses and make sure you include travel. I recently just turned down a fringe show because the money they offered wouldn't cover my travel expenses (I commute in to the city from Jersey). I told them that and they couldn't offer more.
Then you have to make the decision - if they can't/won't meet your offer, can you do it for less.
Good luck

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2008, 02:34 am »
Johnny Carson said "If it wasn't a business it would be called 'show show'".  It's a business and as an SM you're largely on your own.  Do what you need to do to make it work.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Trevor7

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2008, 12:38 pm »
From what I have noticed most festivals don't pay much.  I just graduated college and have been trying to work as much as possible to get experience.  Fringe seems to pay an average of about $500 a show.  Most people working these shows also have a day job.  The pay is lousy but I can say from what few "festival" type shows I have done in NYC, they really do help you grow as a stage manager and make connections.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2008, 09:23 pm »
If you can, always get them to make the opening offer. It saves you stress and embarrassment if the number you imagined was way out of line. It gives you negotiating leverage. It lets you start thinking about non-monetary compensation compromises. Especially if they are hedging and trying to lower your expectations by saying "we can't offer a lot..." I would really push hard to at least get them to state a ballpark. You can all discuss it and work from there.

riotous