Author Topic: Maternity leave on production contract?  (Read 3860 times)

SingingSanta

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
Maternity leave on production contract?
« on: Jul 31, 2017, 10:18 am »
Hi there. I can't seem to find any dialogue on this topic on AEA's website! Im wondering what the specific language and laws are on a full equity production contract, regarding maternity leave for AEA ACTORS. When are you required to inform them of the pregnancy, is there any medical leave/sick leave/disability....etc. ANY info would be appreciated. Thanks!

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Maternity leave on production contract?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2017, 01:57 am »
I did a quick search in the production rulebook. The only thing that comes up is the index at the end that says, "Maternity Leave (See Disability Leave)." After that, there is no specific wording other than generic disability leave, which could occur at any point, whether caused by an accident or other. There is an added tidbit of info "Actors on Term contracts will be eligible to request a leave under this provision only if at least nine weeks remain on their contract on the first day of disability." Also, "During the term of disability, the Actor shall not be entitled to any salary for the time during which services are not rendered."

My guess is there are further stipulations for individual contracts/best practices, but that it's a touchy subject. Anyone else have insight? Note, it's not mentioned in the index for the LORT contract.

Erin

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Maternity leave on production contract?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2017, 08:48 am »
I work mostly on NEAT contracts, and there was nothing in the rulebook regarding maternity/paternity leave. When my wife gave birth I had to negotiate with the theater directly; and we kept AEA in the loop.
This is one area that I want Equity 2020 to look into.