Author Topic: Location, Location, Location!  (Read 5447 times)

mishyfoot

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Location, Location, Location!
« on: Nov 22, 2008, 03:03 am »
Where do you guys live at?

Where are the the best places to live with lots of job opportunities?

Has anyone traveled with a theatre company?  What was that like?

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Location, Location, Location!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2008, 11:30 am »
I currently live in NYC.  It certainly has a lot of jobs, but it also has a lot of competition for those jobs.  Is it the best place?  For some people, yes.  For others, no.

NYC is a great place for people who can handle a full time day job and also work smaller (example Showcase) shows on the side.  There are thousands of small theater companies that are always looking for good help but cannot even come close to paying a living wage.

There are jobs that can pay a decent wage and a few jobs that pay a good wage.  But lots of competition.  Lots.  And as the economy gets worse and worse, more qualified SMs will be willing to work for the "decent" wage instead of the "good" wage rather than not working at all.

There are also a lot of jobs that are considered a full time commitment but still don't pay what I would consider a livable wage. And yet, there is still a tremendous amount of competition for these jobs.

I have traveled a lot with jobs.  Both with tours and with sit-down jobs in theaters outside the City. 

The key to having a career in stage management is flexibilty.  Be willing to travel, be willing to compromise (on money or time or duties), but also know your bottome line (on money or time or duties) and stick with it. 

With the economy going the way it is, smaller companies will really begin to flourish, I think.  As more expensive productions must close, there is room for lower budget theaters to get higher calibre employees and more audience.

It will be interesting to see what the next few years bring.

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2008, 02:51 pm »
I'm in DC - there are a lot of DC stage managers on SM Network.

Where are you, Mishyfoot? There are a lot of great cities to live and work. It depends on what you're looking for. I have really loved DC so far (2 years).

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2008, 12:13 am »
I am in Washington DC - lots of theatre in town, but difficult to make a living unless you are in with one of the big, major theatres.

I move for a job, luckily I am able to spend quite a bit of time in one town.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2008, 01:35 am »
I'm in DC as well- I spend most of my time there but do some traveling. I go out of town occasionally with an opera (right now I'm in Detroit) and also work with a dance company that does a lot of touring, although usually single-city engagements. I love living/working in DC.

mishyfoot

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2008, 01:35 am »
Where are you, Mishyfoot? There are a lot of great cities to live and work. It depends on what you're looking for. I have really loved DC so far (2 years).

I am in Southwest Missouri.  I know I won't find a job in this town so I am willing to move anywhere. Travelling seems appealing, since I am still young and have nothing really tying me down.

DC is a beautiful area. I have visited it before!

jspeaker

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2008, 12:32 pm »
I am in Washington DC - lots of theatre in town, but difficult to make a living unless you are in with one of the big, major theatres.

That just depends.  I have made a living in DC for about 7 years and I am out of town about once a season.
Jess W. Speaker, III
Equity Stage Manager
DC Area AEA Liaison
(301) 335-1498

http://q5go.blogspot.com/

Tempest

• Permanent Resident
  • Learn to love chaos, then tame it.
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: The Center For Puppetry Arts
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2008, 01:21 pm »
I'm in Atlanta.  There seems to be no shortage of work, but well paying work with sane and stable companies is a little slim.  As I value my skills more than, "We'll give you $500 for the whole run," I don't work a whole lot, but I get by.

To make due, I currently have a day job in addition to my stage managing.  Luckily, it's a box office job, so they understand and can usually accomodate my need for (insanely) flexible hours.
Jessica: "Of course I have a metric size 4 dinglehopper in my kit!  Who do you think I am?"

MSSUgirl

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:37 pm »
Where at in Southwest Missouri? Thats where I am from as well. I am orignally from Kansas City so I have a few people up there.

Martha

riotous