Author Topic: Leaving a difficult situation just before Opening...  (Read 6673 times)

imrnthewicked

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Leaving a difficult situation just before Opening...
« on: Jun 24, 2013, 05:50 pm »
I am currently working as a non-eq PSM with a small professional theatre company.  The cast does include a couple of Equity actors, and the company has a goal of becoming completely Equity.  I am getting paid $500 for the entire duration of my contract, and at our first meeting the Producer (who is also the Director of the show) and I agreed that she would give me two payments of $250, but so far I've gotten nothing.

We had out first Dress Rehearsal last night (Sunday), a day off today, and we open on Wednesday.  We are still missing props, some of the actors still do not have microphones, we are missing a staircase on the set, and nothing on the set has been painted.  Also, we basically don't have a crew.  I do have one ASM who's doing her best at running backstage.  I was initially told that the company's interns would serve as our crew.  But they all seem to have conflicts and reasons why they can't run the show.  The Production Manager is doing his best to find a crew, and all the while also serving as the TD and Carpenter.  He actually had to run one of the spotlights last night because we simply did not have anyone else to do it.  I've been sending daily notes and had meetings with the production staff, and they know what needs to happen, but they don't have the manpower to get it done.  I've been running rehearsals as best I can given everything we're missing.

The Director's idea of directing is basically to read along in the script, and from time to time say, "Stand up here.  Sit down there."  The actors have pretty much been directing themselves, and I've been taking some of that responsibility during tech while she sits in the back of the house and watches.  The rehearsal schedules I come up with are never followed. She has said to me before in passing, "Well, we'll need two people to run spotlights, and we'll have a few people backstage, and a couple of dressers..." etc.  And I thought, "Ok, she's just thinking out loud."  So last night, I was working with the ASM, and the Director walked up and said, "Well, (ASM), why don't we have a crew?  Why haven't you found us a crew?"  I very politely said to her, "Well, (Director/Producer), it's really not Stage Management's job to find and hire a crew for the show.  I thought we were using interns.  If you gave me their contact info, I'd be glad to let them know when rehearsal is and what we need them to do.  But we're not in charge of hiring them."

At this point she YELLED at me, "(SM), don't you EVER speak to me that way again!!  How DARE you speak to me that way!!"  Then she turned and walked out into the house, and proclaimed to a theatre full of actors and designers, "My Stage Manager just told me she refuses to do her job!  She said I can't tell her to do her job!"

I was shocked and stunned.  And continued running the rehearsal as if nothing had happened (though the Director would not speak to me the rest of the night.)  I had planned to pull her aside later and tell her how unprofessional and disrespectful her actions were (not to mention defaming my character in front of a room full of colleagues), but I didn't get the chance.  I've composed an e-mail to send to her basically saying that what she did was disrespectful, that nowhere in my job description does it include hiring a crew, and that this was the last straw and if things don't improve and if I continue not to be paid for my work, I will be withdrawing my services from the production.  I would really hate to do that after all the time, energy, and gas money I've put into this show, and because the Music Director and Choreographer are good friends of mine. 

But where do you draw the line and get yourself OUT, when you know that doing so will leave the cast and production staff high and dry just before opening night?
« Last Edit: Jun 24, 2013, 06:01 pm by imrnthewicked »

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: Leaving a difficult situation just before Opening...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2013, 07:43 pm »
They (the cast and production staff) are already high and dry. Leave. Flee. I learned the hard way in a show I worked a long time ago that the stress you are describing here just is not worth it. Especially if your initial payment hasn't been made. I'd guess you can probably write it off, you'll never get it.

I've also learned to avoid working with a director/producer. The jobs are so different that they shouldn't be done by the same person. Or a married couple (one directs, one produces. In a battle, they'll side with each other, not you.).

Leave. Flee. Good luck, it's not a fun situation to be in.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2013, 09:17 pm »
A ship's captain might be able to salvage a dinghy in trouble, but can only go down with a yacht.

A musical is a yacht.

It's time to head for the lifeboats.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2013, 08:57 am »
I think the producer/director drew that line when she announced to the company that you "refuse to do your job".

If you're ok with the fact that you will never work for this company again, leave. Chances are the company won't last that long if they go Equity.

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2013, 01:19 pm »
The situation, with its many layers, just can't be salvaged. I'm not even sure if you should try getting what little money they promised you.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2013, 01:49 pm »
You might also want to follow up with an AEA rep since you've got union actors. Running under those circumstances is bound to be hazardous.

However regarding the pay - in those situations you usually get half at opening and half at closing. If you want it any other way you need to get them to sign a contract with a payment schedule, and remember to invoice them as needed.

VSM

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vernonwillet.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM - Laguna Playhouse
« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2013, 04:09 am »
Talk to AEA.
Walk away.
Ordo ab chao

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2013, 11:31 pm »
Call Equity and run as far and as fast as you can. No job is worth that nonsense.
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2013, 05:38 pm »
Almost everything you've described is essentially salvageable.

But singlehandedly saving the show is not your job, nor are they paying you nearly enough to do it. And most importantly of all, I said "almost."

"[...] though the Director would not speak to me the rest of the night."

That's not salvageable. That's not something you can fix. If you've lost the confidence of the director and the producer, even if you've lost that confidence for the most stupid and infantile and unprofessional and self-indulgent reasons imaginable, your position is untenable. Get out. Talk to Equity, but get out.

Cedes

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC, SMA
  • Current Gig: PSM, Arizona Broadway Theatre
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2013, 09:41 am »
They (the cast and production staff) are already high and dry. Leave. Flee. I learned the hard way in a show I worked a long time ago that the stress you are describing here just is not worth it. Especially if your initial payment hasn't been made. I'd guess you can probably write it off, you'll never get it.

I've also learned to avoid working with a director/producer. The jobs are so different that they shouldn't be done by the same person. Or a married couple (one directs, one produces. In a battle, they'll side with each other, not you.).

Leave. Flee. Good luck, it's not a fun situation to be in.

I know this was a few months ago, but I completely agree. I was just in a very similar situation (producer/director, company that was running on skeleton crew and not really keeping things together, suddenly expecting me to do A LOT more than what I was prepared for and available, etc) and it was a mutual decision that I leave. I learned the hard way in knowing when to get out, and when not to put all your eggs in one basket.

Kelasaurus

• Contributor
  • Live, Laugh, Love
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: CAEA
  • Current Gig: Getting my feet wet in the industry
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2013, 01:16 pm »
The director/producer is completely out of line. I'd bail.
‎"We keep moving forward, opening new doors... because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
- Walt Disney