Author Topic: Interview Scheduling  (Read 4161 times)

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
  • Experience: Professional
Interview Scheduling
« on: Feb 15, 2013, 08:52 pm »
So, I have been contacted to schedule an interview with a local company for a job this summer, but I'm having issues with scheduling. The interviewer and I have now been back and forth for two weeks about several different dates to have a face to face interview and nothing is meshing.

The problem is that she was in tech the first week, and I'm going into tech this week. The week after this she is leaving the area, so that is a no-go too. Has anyone else run into this problem before too? I'm getting frusterated and I can imagine the interviewer is too. But on the other hand, I have to keep my day job and when I'm working that and at the theatre at night my schedule is limited for anything else.

Neither of us has broached the idea of a phone interview, and I think that would be less ideal anyway. What I guess I'm wondering is if this scheduling problem is actually hurting my chances at the job- or if there is anything else I could possibly suggest or do.

Maybe I'm just overthinking all of this, but I don't have anything lined up for the summer yet and really want to stay close to home so it is a little more difficult than in the past.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: Interview Scheduling
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2013, 10:02 pm »
Try a schedule comparison website and try to find an hour or so that overlaps between your schedules. I recently used http://www.whenisgood.net/ for scheduling a four person meeting and it worked quite well w/o needing anyone to register for any random accounts.

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:58 pm »
As an alternative to a phone interview, my ASM and I interviewed our current PA via Skype. Similar to in-person in the fact that you can at least see each other. Not sure if it helps, but at least it's something to think about.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2013, 02:39 am »
I am not a huge Skype interview fan . . . it's perhaps a half-step up from an phone interview, but again, not best as in person .  .

but if in person is not an option, then skype may be a good option.

(I would recommend, if you have not used skype before . . . I would recommend doing a trial run to get to know how it works . . . best lighting, best angle to use . . . for example, I have to adjust lighting or not wear glasses, or, all people see is the computer reflecting off my glasses.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2013, 08:57 am »
The BBC ran an article about Skype interviews yesterday...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21334710

BARussell

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Assistant to the Producers at Goodspeed Musicals
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2013, 02:31 pm »
I don't think it is hurting your chances, we tend to over think these types of things. I mean they are just as unavailable as you, and people who have done this before understand how difficult it is to find the time. It's even worse now that I am on the west coast applying for east coast jobs and time zones, and different schedules, but I haven't seen it hurt my chances. I say as long as you are doing everything you can to try to make it work they will appreciate that and keep it in mind, coming up with great alternatives will probably also make you look good. This could e a good thing.

The one Skype interview I was supposed to have failed and ended up being a phone interview...I still got the job though! I like in person interviews the best,  but haven't done one in such a long time I'm just used to doing phone interviews.
"We don't negotiate with weirdos!"

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2013, 02:21 pm »
To keep everyone updated, we finally were able to schedule a phone interview inbetween shows this past wednesday. When I spoke to my current Stage Manager, turns out she is working pre-production with the woman who interviewed me, so we all realized how absolutly crazy scheduling was.

It went as well as a phone interview could and I should know in a week or so. Thanks for helping me stay positive!

riotous