Author Topic: is this normal?  (Read 2799 times)

Risa Comical

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Directing The Nerd
  • Experience: Community Theatre
is this normal?
« on: Jul 15, 2010, 08:51 am »
Back in april I accepted an SM job for september from my hs teacher when he does a play at a community theatre. I'm currently living in another state.

He hasn't contacted me at all, luckily a friend of mine was cast in the show and passed on any info he had. Apparently 'september' means 'this sunday' because that's when rehersals start (which I found out last night)

I had been sending him messages in various format for the past week with no response. I finally got one at 5 am, when he replied to am email I sent saying I had been replaced at the theatres demand.

I was upset to say the least. But do I have a reason to be? Even if it's non equity community theatre, should the director inform you that you will be/ have been replaced?
It all started with a single question... " Hey, do you wanna stage manage JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT!?" Best decision in my life so far...

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Re: is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:56 am »
Unfortunately, this is often normal, though it shouldn't be.

From the employer's end, they often get 'caught up' in dealing with paperwork and information regarding the replacement, that they seem to 'forget' about the replaced. I've had similar experiences, though not necessarily being replaced in a position I was already intending to have. Mine have been in the interview process, where the company seems incredibly eager and then suddenly, all contact disappears.

It is frustrating, but (hopefully) it can inspire you to work harder and keep trying.
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2010, 04:40 pm »
It's for this reason that I ask for some type of signed contract or confirmation letter until the contract is sent/signed rather than just rely on a verbal agreement.

On_Headset

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2010, 05:23 pm »
Directors in general, and community theatre directors in particular, tend to be people who are being tugged in several different directions simultaneously. So many projects they want to work on, so many ideas of how to do it, so many people they'd like to take part...

As such, verbal assurances from directors should be taken as compliments and precious little else. Even if they promise you a gig, they might just plain forget who you are by the beginning of rehearsals, or might meet someone they'd prefer, or their vision for the project might change in a way that would lessen your ability to contribute, or one of their "core" SMs might come available in which case they have no need for an outsider, or almost anything else.

When you get a contact, mark it on your calendar.

Until you do, don't count on anything.

I'm sorry you had this experience, though. It's a sucky lesson to learn, particularly when you're on friendly terms with the director in question.  :-\

planetmike

• SM Expert
  • @planetmike
    • View Profile
    • Michael Clark, Stage Manager
  • Experience: Community Theatre
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2010, 05:40 pm »
I learned the hard way that when a director stops responding to email messages, it may mean that my skills were no longer needed. So when a later show came along and the director was not responding to my questions, I started prepping to look for another gig. In the second instance though, the show did go on, and I did get to stage manage it.