Author Topic: Is Stage Jobs Pro USA Useful?  (Read 6323 times)

SashaJanai

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Illinois Wesleyan University
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Is Stage Jobs Pro USA Useful?
« on: Jul 12, 2015, 11:31 pm »
Hello,
I recently graduated from college and have been looking everywhere online for possible job opportunities. I found Stage Jobs Pro USA, and they seem to be sending me good positions to apply for, but in order to read the descriptions, they require that I buy a premium membership. Has anyone used this website and found it useful? I wanted to get some more opinions before I spend money on it.
Thanks.

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Is Stage Jobs Pro USA Useful?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2015, 12:20 am »
I haven't found it useful yet. I tried for a couple of things early on, when they were testing it here, and there were several things that just made no sense. For example, you had to type in your whole resume rather than linking it and being able to easily update it as you did shows. And categories? They are a British company and it took them way way too long to figure out that using American (and Canadian) terms helped those of us across the pond identify what we did.

FWIW I have yet to see a union listing that wasn't already on the AEA site (for free), and they send me stuff that just makes no sense for my skill set. But if you are nonunion, a trial run might prove otherwise. They used to give a 7-day free trial (maybe no more?). And hey, if you decide to give it a go, please use my name so I can get my free week. (And yes, it's only a week, so there may or may not be anything for you in that week. Also sucks. Shd be at least a month, if not a year, for anyone you refer! But that's a separate subject.)

Samazon

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UNC Greensboro, SMA, AEA
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2015, 11:50 am »
I subscribed to a premium membership not long ago and it seems to be helpful with regards to non union positions. It is like another version of OffstageJobs in that sense. Additionally, I saw hardly any overlap with the jobs posted on Offstage. And while it was tedious to re-enter my credits, the benefit of the emails for prospective matches was nice.

I will agree that it doesn't seem to have much benefit for union positions. Most union jobs are also posted on the Equity website, like loebtmc said.
“All things are possible until they are proved impossible and even the impossible may only be so, as of now."

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2015, 09:39 pm »
Thanks for the run down on this website: I like the idea of email updates, something I wish I got from OffStageJobs. Looks like I'll have to take a look.
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2015, 08:44 pm »
Follow-up-- do the non-union jobs posted usually pay?

Samazon

• Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: UNC Greensboro, SMA, AEA
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2015, 10:56 pm »
Yes. That is actually another useful feature of the site.  Instead of mixing them together, the site separates listings by pay status. Internships/non paid positions are listed as 'Opportunities'. You can view these listings with a free membership. The paid positions are listed as 'Jobs' and in order to view these, you need to have a premium membership. (The only things you can see on a job listing with a free membership is the position, the location of the job, the dates of employment, and the closing date of the search).
“All things are possible until they are proved impossible and even the impossible may only be so, as of now."

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2015, 04:46 am »
Follow-up-- do the non-union jobs posted usually pay?

I'd argue if it doesn't pay, it's not a job... it's volunteering  ;)
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2015, 11:47 am »
Good point KMC! If only I could get job boards to make separate "volunteering" sections.

riotous