Author Topic: Interviews with Theatres for Apprenticeships  (Read 4700 times)

Kestrel_Childers

• New to Town
    • View Profile
Interviews with Theatres for Apprenticeships
« on: Mar 29, 2006, 05:55 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for interviews for apprenticeships?  I had 2 interviews last year and I thought 1 went well, but I didn't wind up getting jobs with either theatre.  

Are there any questions I should be asking?  Any research I should do on the theatres other than looking at their line up for next season and making sure I see some of their shows in the current season?  Anything I shouldn't ask?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2006, 12:49 am »
You have to remember, these places may get 100's of applications. Try and get as much work as you can under your belt is probably the best advice I can give.

jensparkingonly

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • http://jensparkingonly.com
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2006, 02:46 pm »
Getting the interview is the biggest step. That means your qualifications and experiences are in line with what they are looking for.  The interview itself is about personality. *They* are probalby interviewing at least 5 candidates with similar, equitable qualifications. They are looking for team members whose personality will work with the staff they already have.  Let your true self be evident in the interview. Yes, be professional, but be honest and open as well.  

Here is what I look for when I am interviewing interns:
-Likeablity, Is this person friendly, likeable and personable? Will they get along with my other team members? What is there sense of humor like?
-Honesty, Does this person answer my questions openly and honestly?  Do they make eye contact with me when speaking? Do they shuffle and fidget?
-Confidence, Are they self-assured or will they need alot of hand holding? Is this person overly confident (cocky)?

Be prepared to answer the following types of questions:
-What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?
-Why do you want to work for this organization?
-What excites you about this job?
-Describe how you handle stress? What types of stressful situations have you been in?
-How do you like to work? What are ideal working conditions for you?
-What makes you different from other candidates? (Hint, the answer is not about your job skills.)

Try to find out some information about the people you are interviewing with. Find out their names and Google them.  Also be very observant of the surroundings. If you are interviewing in someones office, notice the pictures/environment and try to assess personal hobbies or activities that you can ask about. This will make your interview more memorable and you will look more interested in your potential collegues then your potential position.

Ask questions about:
past shows, which has been there favorite or least favorite and why
-ask if they did a similar internship in there career and what they learned from it
-the internship/apprenticeship program was started and where past interns are now working
-ask for a tour. Everyone likes to show off their theater and don't be afraid to ask questions about the theatre as you walk through it.

The interview is as much about you getting to know them as it is about them getting to know you.  Show them you are sincerely interested in who they are and what they do. And send an individual thank you note to each person you interviewed with.

Best of luck!
Jen Matthews
Stage Manager, AEA
jensparkingonly@hotmail.com

"In art we are once again able to do all the things we have forgotten: we are able to walk on water; we speak to the angels who call us; we  move, unfettered, among the stars." -ML

riotous