Author Topic: Freelance rates for TV broadcast of performance  (Read 3882 times)

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
Freelance rates for TV broadcast of performance
« on: Dec 11, 2008, 03:48 pm »
I did a search and couldn't find an answer to this, so hopefully someone can help!!

I have been offered a SM position for a national TV broadcast of a one time stage performance, and was asked about rates.  It is for a non-profit organization, but it is a high profile event.  This is on the US east coast (not NYC).  I don't typically freelance, so I have no idea what the going rates are.  It is 2 rehearsal days and one performance in a non-IA house, working with a union TV crew and about 200 performers.  I would really like to do the gig, so I don't want to highball my rates, but would like to be paid fairly.
Can anyone please help give me a rough idea?

Thank you so much!!!!

SSM
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Re: Freelance rates for TV broadcast of performance
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2008, 12:22 pm »
Some things to think about:
Do you think, personally, that you would ask for less if the show were not being televised? Is it a live broadcast? Who is paying you: the non-profit theatre company, or the TV/production company?

I had done things like this before - similar 2 rehearsal/one-off performance timeline - in the Midwest (maybe you should get 20%+ more on the East Coast...?) for about $1500 one-time fee, plus my expenses. If it was a smaller event broadcast on PBS and put on by a local theatre, I might get paid more like $500, and I was happy to do it for the love. If it is a live broadcast, I think it would be entirely reasonable to double these rates. Considering too that it is a national (network?) broadcast makes me wonder if your rates could be a little higher as well.

But I haven't done something like this for years. Not sure if this is in the ballpark you were thinking... but I hope these thoughts are helpful!

SMrose

• Permanent Resident
  • all the world's a stage
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, IATSE
  • Current Gig: Technical Support Services @ Lenoir-Rhyne University
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2008, 01:11 pm »

I don't typically freelance, so I have no idea what the going rates are.  It is 2 rehearsal days and one performance in a non-IA house, working with a union TV crew and about 200 performers. 
Thank you so much!!!!

SSM

Hmmm...union TV crew--what are their rates?  Seems if they're getting union tv rate you should get something comparable.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2008, 03:40 pm »
If it's truly being broadcast nationally I personally wouldn't go less than $1,000/day.  Probably closer to $1,500/day.
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2008, 03:42 pm by kmc307 »
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2008, 07:20 pm »
I appreciate everyone's input.  I sent them a proposal based on this and the AFTRA rates for awards shows/special events (which were in line), so we will see what happens.

Thank you!!!!

SSM
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church