Author Topic: How to differential between educational experience as a student and as a teacher  (Read 5843 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
I would consider someone with teaching experience for PSM, ASM or even a PA position.  Like any interview, I would ask questions to make sure if I had any reservations, those reservations could be put aside.

What those reservations would be would be based on a variety of things - but the question at the back of my head, is why teach rather then do?  How that question was answered, would allow me to put aside some of my reservations.

"I taught because I had this fantastic opportunity to pursue my dream of teaching" versus "I wasn't finding work in the field, so I opted to go into education" are two very different reasons to go into teaching.

"I was looking for my solid and stable work in my field of choice" versus "There was an opening at the school I used to go to" also give different insights.

"I had a fantastic opportunity to follow a different career path for awhile" is another interesting insight. 

One of the things I would ask is "Why are you leaving teaching to return to stage management?"  Like I would ask someone, "Why are you leaving behind the exciting world of accounting to become a stage manager?"

Again, I am unsure I have a bias personally.  The few people I have interviewed taught part time while continuing their professional career - so teaching was not highlighted in their resume in a way that made it seem like they paused their career.   My personal experience is that teaching often leads to more careers in academia, not always a return to the work force . . . it's one of few reservations I have for myself going into academia - I am not sure I am done doing.  A lot of people I know who have turned to academia full time is because they were not satisfied with the career they had.  And, in one case, a horrible stage manager who wasn't get worked because they were ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE AT THE JOB - is not actively pursuing teaching jobs - which SCARES ME! - but I digress.  That's my personal baggage.

In my mind, the skill set to be a great teacher/education are not always the same skill set of being a good stage manager - to be an excellent teacher you don't have to be great at the job (one of the best teachers of stage management I encounter was a director - another was a production manager).  Saying I teach creative writing, doesn't make you a great novelist.

All that being said, I think there is going to be a great way to highlight these experiences in a professional resume without distracting from the professional credits you have.  And remember, you don't have to submit the same resume for every job.  See how one resume works versus another with the teaching experience highlighted in different manners.  And given how often our job is to serve as an educator as members of the SM (working with training SMs or other members of the staff), it's obviously only going to serve you in the long run - the skill set is amazing to have - I am jealous that you have it to drawn on.  But like some many things, for some, it maybe some sort of flag for someone to be worried about, until they are able to talk to you and get the entire picture.

I feel it's a great interview topic to engage in some pretty good talking points and allow you to stand out in the interview process.

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2012, 03:56 am by MatthewShiner »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
These are definitely interesting thoughts to consider when I decide to re-enter the SM workforce (most likely at the end of this particular contract).  I can see the importance to put the proper spin on it both in a cover letter and in an interview.

My ultimate reason to take this job was similar to what you mentioned about training and mentoring younger SMs and expanding my skillset in terms of communication methods. 

So perhaps, your suggestion to put teaching in Special Skills can outweigh my apprehension at having a "gap."

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
It's all going to be in how you package the teaching and time away.

See your private message.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous