Author Topic: Former employer at job fair-how to approach?  (Read 4854 times)

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
Former employer at job fair-how to approach?
« on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:06 pm »
I'm planning on attending a job fair soon, and my former employer will be attending as well.

It was a summer gig that ended on what I believe was good terms.  When the new summer show was announced I emailed him saying I wasn't going to apply because I'm taking a vacation that was too good to pass up. I told him that I was available before and during tech if he needed an extra set of hands. He didn't respond.

I'm fearing that the job fair will be too small for me to avoid him. Any suggestions on how to approach him to say hi without looking/sounding awkward?

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Former employer at job fair-how to approach?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2013, 05:49 pm »
Why should you feel ackward? You stated clearly your concerns and needs, and you are looking for a job. You are entitled to take vacations or days off, and you are entitled to open yourself to other opportunities. You were willing to make yourself avail within your parameters, and of course they will want someone who can do a full run if given the option, but no reason that should put you in a lower position or at a disadvantage. Go, feel good about yourself, and enjoy the job fair. If you see this employer, say hello, make nice and some small talk, and move on.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2013, 12:10 am »
If the job ended on good terms then there is no reason to feel awkward or weird about it. The nature of this bussiness creates a transient work force, and employers know this. Don't snub the former employer by ignoring them- that would just be rude. You can say hi and ask how their season went. Some companies are stepping stones to bigger jobs and opportunities and don't expect you to stay forever or keep coming back. This is normal- don't fret.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2013, 08:27 am »
Kill 'em with kindness.  If he wants to feel awkward that's on him, but I don't see a reason you should feel awkward.  If the situation is truly as you described below (no reason to believe it's not) you didn't breach a contract or go back on any verbal agreement.  You weren't available for whatever reason - it really doesn't matter why - and you didn't sign on for another season.  I don't see any harm in that.   

Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

BayAreaSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Bay Area SM
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: VP, Operations in AV Events
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2013, 01:43 am »
It sounds like you're worried that he is mad at you because he didn't answer your email. I wouldn't take it personally - he may have been too busy at the time, or he didn't feel a response was necessary.

I've been in situations before where someone wasn't available for the entire show, but was willing to help out at tech. (Heck, I've even been that person!) In my mind, tech is what gets you ready for the show - and having an extra set of hands at tech doesn't set you up for performances, because they won't be there. And I was told "Thanks, but no thanks" when I offered the same thing, because it's true - it isn't really helpful in the end.

Be pleasant, ask how their season went - he may be happy to see you and ask about your availability. You never know.

DeeCap

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2013, 12:16 pm »
Thanks for the advice. They waved me over and I got a hug.  Which I believe there aren't enough of at job fairs.

ejsmith3130

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: EMC
  • Current Gig: Coordinating a Move to Napaskiak AK- Harder than any show I've ever done!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2013, 11:35 pm »
Thanks for the advice. They waved me over and I got a hug.  Which I believe there aren't enough of at job fairs.

There aren't enough of these in life.

riotous