Author Topic: Everyone's favorite topic: Networking  (Read 5588 times)

jmenass

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
Everyone's favorite topic: Networking
« on: Mar 31, 2015, 12:17 pm »
Hello all! (Long time lurker here)

Let's talk about Networking. It's a topic that most people I know hate, but we all need to embrace. I also know personally, my college education was GREAT but never once prepared us for how to network.  I'm currently in the position that I'm looking to re-energize my networking capabilities and its daunting if not terrifying; there is always the nagging feeling of could I be doing more or I am going about this in an efficient way?  I think stage managers as a profession breed a lot of people who are used to putting others first so when it comes to being your own salesman, I know I often feel awkward and like I'm putting other people out.

The background (you can skip):So I am an AEA stage manager.  I was blessed to work pretty consistently for a couple years then last year made the move to a new market and was hit with the wall of not knowing anyone and being in a tough city for new AEA SMs.  I moved again to DC which has been better luck (I moved for an events non-theater job for the summer) but again, I'm dissatisfied with my career trajectory and haven't been SMing consistently and realized that office life is NOT for me. So I'm hoping to move back to NYC end of summer (commercial theater is my end goal) and thus the networking and reconnecting initiative that is causing me great stress.

So, What are your philosophies on networking? How often do you send out emails/calls/whatever to your network? If you are starting in a new city do you send out cold emails or letters to PSMs in the area? Do you ask people to introduce you? Do you observe teams?  We've all done them all, and some succeed more than others. So what has worked the best for you, or if you are in the position that people are trying to network with you, what are your do's or don'ts?  I think the hardest line for me personally is how to connect to someone while reaching towards your goal (presumably future employment) without making it all about me, me, me. I know personally when I meet someone it's offputting to be submitted to a verbal resume being shoved in your face; but what are the simplest ways of going from "I'm genuinely interested in what you have accomplished and can teach me" to "Please remember me in the future"

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
Re: Everyone's favorite topic: Networking
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2015, 03:18 pm »
[side topic: HI FRIEND!!!!]
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2015, 10:24 pm »
Networking has to line up with your own personal stage management.

I have some co-horts in the SM world that are VERY aggressive in their networking - it works for them, so who am I to judge.  It is a slight turn off to me - when I get a gig, and then they start trying to get on the team, or start circling me for cast off jobs. 

My personal style is to keep a tight circle of people I network with pretty regularly (it helps me keep up my networking skills, which are NOT my strength at all).  When I am looking for work, I tend to send the word out to that group, and then reach out to theaters / directors I know.   I have to say, I am very lucky and I don't have to rely too much on off-time networking to secure work - but more for networking I do while employed (remember, work begets more work). 

On the flip side, at my point in my career, I have a lot of earlier career stage managers reach out to me - and I will usually meet with them for coffee and chat.  Putting a face to a name and resume is critical.   A couple of these have landed interviews with me, and at least two have been hired for contract positions. 

In this business, people know that networking is important and it's part of this career - we are used to either having to do it, or be networked to . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2015, 09:23 am »
Networking doesn't have to be an arduous process with form emails, awkward conversations, or pushing business cards on people.  The time to network is when you don't need a job.  The common reasoning behind this thought is that you want your network already in place when you do need a job.  For me, a secondary reason behind this school of thought is that it's much easier to make a meaningful connection with someone when you don't specifically need something from them.  If you're networking because you need a job immediately, it will come across that way and is off-putting to many people. 

Meeting people in a new city is challenging, especially if you don't already have an "in" to introduce you.  Try social settings - e.g. industry happy hours.  The "I'm new in town and just trying to get the lay of the land" is an easy conversation starter.

People also focus a lot on building their networking while neglecting their existing network.  Keeping old contacts alive is not very difficult.  A simple text message saying "Just saw something that reminded me of X production we worked on together, hope you are well!" is usually enough to keep a connection open. 
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2015, 02:45 pm »
I agree with KMC - networking not looking for a job is cool; networking will looking for a job is a bit off-putting; networking searching for a job comes off as needy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

jmenass

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2015, 11:21 am »
Definitely agree with all.  It is interesting that you mentioned networking when you have a job vs networking when you need a job which is not something I had thought about.  Now that you said it, I know personally I do feel more comfortable when I'm simply trying to expand my circle and just meet new people than when I'm nervously looking for a new job. 

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2015, 07:55 pm »
Related to this, it's important to consider the networking profiles of the people you're talking to. What and who do they see in a day? Who do they normally talk to? How are they likely to react to a hard sell vs a soft sell?

Long term SMNet members and mods/former-mods will know that I take the resistance to hard-selling that is so common among Gen X-ers to a complete extreme. I'm a buy-nothing. I have lost money year after year on a site with over 5000 members because I find advertising to be an insult to my intelligence and refuse to disrespect you guys in that way. If I recommend someone to someone else, it's always with the caveat that "I know a guy who does X, don't know if they're any good, but it's worth a shot." To successfully network with me the best route is to give me a name, a mnemonic and a way to contact you, then shut the heck up and quit while you're ahead.

For example, we've got a relatively low-traffic Facebook group for SMNetwork. There's maybe a post a week over there and it's really not for discussion. I should state up front that I'm totally cool with folks posting there occasionally for quick questions that need rapid answers and job postings, etc. Little stuff that FB does well to amplify. Fine. However, the group was conceived as a contact sheet exclusive to SMNetwork members. Discussions that happen on the FB group are actually harmful to SMNetwork, as they lower the direct traffic to this site. The group's description clearly states that a) people need to identify themselves to me if they want to join so I know they're not a spammer, and b) they should keep discussion in the group to a minimum and post here instead, using the group only to find each other on FB.

We have a member of that group who is totally oblivious to the purpose and activity level of our group. He never identified himself to me, but kept requesting permission to join, so I had to spend about an hour trying to hunt down his very common name throughout the web to confirm that he was a stage manager. He's posted 5 times in the past year - more than anyone other than me - and his posts mostly consist of "anybody know of any jobs?" or "anybody have any connections at any High Level Theatre Companies that I can talk to about employment?" I've never seen him post here. I don't even know if he's a member. I've never seen him comment on anyone else's posts. He sent me a private message saying he'd seen me post frequently in the "SMA group" and asking him if I could hook him up with SMA swag.

I recognize him every time he posts now, so that aspect of his networking efforts have succeeded. However, I remember him as a rude, self-centered jerk who's always out of work, can't read directions, and keeps doing something that could harm a project I've been working on for a decade and a half.

All this is to say, please pay attention to the environment and orient yourself a bit before you start networking at people.

jmenass

• New to Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2015, 09:18 pm »
I think you hit at some great points that were underlying my initial post.  I just finished working in a business environment for a few months and had previously never consciously worried about networking in the theater world. It's a fact that it's a small world and your friends will know people and you may go out after a show and run into people on another show and if you get along they may remember you for a job they heard of.  It was very weird to them that I was unfamiliar with networking events, conferences, etc... which starts to get to your head with "Am I missing out? Have I been doing this wrong?" Because we are in a business where its a small word where everyone knows everyone or someone who knows everyone but at the same time, at least when I was in school, it seemed like a taboo topic. So I've been really interested in hearing people in theater's view on the topic especially as you said PSMKay that Gen-X is into the hard sell. When posing this question to peers I've heard everything from email someone every 3 months to I don't worry about it.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2015, 10:27 pm »
Actually it's the other way around. Gen Xers tend to react negatively to the hard sell. We grew up in an era when advertisements had to be plainly announced, TV and radio stations had to offer airtime to opposing viewpoints, and corporate financing of political campaigns were not permitted.

There is an enormous generation gap that can be seen when it comes to embracing/rejecting promotional activity. In general we want to use self-promotional techniques that we would respond well to ourselves. However, if we want to network successfully we need to tailor our marketing to the recipients.

Boomers respond best to promotion in properly allocated venues for advertising - ad breaks in TV shows - but the promotions must demonstrate proof of worth.

Gen X wants subtlety - think product placement - and responds best to subtle introduction of brand awareness. They are absolutely turned off by blatant advertisement and are the most likely to use anonymous user handles online and adblocking software to protect their privacy. Xers concept of marketing was affected by the idea that propaganda was a tool of Big Brother & the Soviet regime. Think of the "1984" Apple commercial to get an idea of how Gen X likes their advertising, and how their concepts of commerce were formed. The web for them when they were kids was a web of free communication and innovation, anonymous and cross-borders.

Millennials grew up with TV shows that were created entirely to sell products, from top to bottom. (Think Pokemon, Power Rangers, My Little Pony.) They carry devices that are pocket shopping malls, with features a secondary concern. They grew up in a world where marketing is omnipresent and communication is handled through advertising sites (Facebook, Twitter, etc.). Everything is self-promotional because that's what they see all around them. Their internet is now and has always been a consumerist tool, meant to sell things, with communication backburnered and innovation restricted to high-ROI areas.

I'm currently developing a business that targets millennials. I am having to engage in networking and marketing practices that I personally find really distasteful, but my target generation really appreciates. It's an ongoing morass of likes and shares and retweets and cheerleading. However, as my company's business model progresses I will also have to target the *parents* of those millennials, which means I will also have to develop an extreme hard sell approach that will also make me uncomfortable.

Jmenass, you mentioned that it was the business world that brought this up with you, and that the theater world hadn't made it seem a significant need. I think we also need to remember that opportunities for exposure to others are considerably scarcer in corporate life. Theater people tend to have cast parties and move between social groups every few months. Their assorted creative interests will naturally bring them into contact with an enormous number of people. Attending shows and reading playbills will keep us in each others minds. Our business is performance. We're always putting ourselves in front of new people.

For a corporate person, it's very common that you will go for 12 months with one company party at Christmas, and other than that you'll never see or interact with anyone outside of your department (unless you're in sales). Corporate folk need contrived excuses to go and "network".

If you were working in an arts management corporate setting, you got a double whammy of "OMG we need to network" because of the totally whacko nature of performing arts fundraising. You've got corporate people trying to raise money from other corporate people who expect to be courted by theatre companies with, well, theatre. Everything becomes an "event" and networking becomes a tracked metric because that's what marketing people do. It's their job. How many people have you touched today? How many referrals can you get? How many eyeballs saw this promotion? How did they respond to the red banner vs blue? Their concerns are not your concerns. If you don't bring the product, they don't have a job.

Yes there's things we can learn from big business but I think theatre folk need to bear in mind that we're dealing with other theatre folk in our networking. Most of us made a deliberate choice to avoid corporate life so we could get away from all that nonsense.

SMMeade

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Asst. Company Manager, HVSF
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2015, 02:33 pm »
This really only works for students but remember to go to internship fairs! Specifically ART New York was a fantastic one for me. Not only did I find out about a lot of theatre companies that I'd never heard of before, but I met a lot of people and they were able to look over my resume while I was standing there- I even had a table tell me, "you're too qualified for an internship, you should apply for a job." (Major ego boost right there). You get to make a good impression, and find out a little more about what you're applying for face to face ("so is this strictly SM or am I expected to pitch in with electrics too?" etc).