Author Topic: Employment in NYC...getting back into the game.  (Read 4571 times)

lilgrape

• Tourist
    • View Profile
Employment in NYC...getting back into the game.
« on: Mar 10, 2009, 10:09 pm »
I just joined the site and I have to say I'm REALLY happy I found it! I'm at a crossroads in my life and although I know what I want...I'm not sure how to go about it. I graduated with a degree in Stage Management years ago and after doing a number of ASM jobs for regional theater's I moved to NYC and eventually left theater to get involved in film/tv. I've been working in production for TV for the past 10 years but it has never really been my passion. Basically...I want to get back into Stage Management and after being out of the game...I'm not sure where to start.

The skill set is still there and I really feel that the knowledge I've gained in tv is more of an asset rather than a problem but I have no clue where to start to try and pick up gigs again. I've checked job boards etc and I know I'll be doing ASM work for a bit before the chance to move up comes along and I'm okay with that. Does anyone have any idea of where I should be looking? Should I go to theater's specifically or apply even if a posting isn't up? Thanks in advance for your help!

johnmurdock

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • John D Murdock, Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
Re: Employment in NYC...getting back into the game.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2009, 08:54 pm »
Hey there-

I would recommend first networking with fellow SM's in NYC.  Look into Joining SMA (Stage Management Assosciation) that is a great resource as it will help with meeting other SM's but also you get job notices that dont appear elsewhere, so it proves very helpful.

Message me if you have any specific questions.
John Murdock
AEA Stage Manager
John@Johndmurdock.com
http://Http://www.johndmurdock.com

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2009, 08:04 am »
As a general rule right now, I would recommend you apply only for positions that are posted. Hirers are getting flooded with resumes, and it will improve your chances by applying only at appropriate times. Others might disagree, but this would be my advice right now. Use networking opportunities to get your name out there in the meantime.

lilgrape

• Tourist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2009, 03:33 pm »
Thanks so much for your help on this. I'll look into joining that organization.

riotous