Author Topic: Post-graduation time off?  (Read 2659 times)

gNat

• New to Town
  • it's a dinosnore!
    • View Profile
Post-graduation time off?
« on: Mar 24, 2009, 11:50 pm »
I am about to graduate college and am currently looking for work in theater (and completely freaking out about this fact).  But, I'm also looking at alternative options, such as teaching abroad for the next year or so.

Would it be harder for me to get jobs if I don't immediately jump into the professional theater world right out of college?  Or would most employers understand a gap in my resume, especially considering the current economic situation? (Let's play the sweeping generalizations game!)
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
- The Princess Bride

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Post-graduation time off?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2009, 12:07 am »
One of the good reasons not to be dates on your resume is because of gaps in your employment.  I don't think taking some time off will hurt your chances for jobs in the future.  To be honest, many stage managers take "time off" - work hard on tour for 18 months, and then takes some down time.  It's happens a lot.

My only concern about taking time off is are you going to lose forward momentum you have built up?  Will you loose hot connections? 

The last thing is . . . if you get out of the business for awhile, will it be hard for you to come back to it.  Let's be honest, making a living in the arts is hard work, and if you find you can make a living doing something else, it's awfully hard to leave behind a stable paycheck and jump back into the world.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

riotous