Author Topic: Dubai Opera Job Postings  (Read 11145 times)

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Dubai Opera Job Postings
« on: Mar 16, 2016, 08:26 am »
For any SMs looking for an adventure, Dubai Opera (opening soon) is hiring two stage management positions.  I have no affiliation with this organization and am posting solely as a courtesy to the members here.

http://www.dubaiopera.com/Careers.aspx
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Dubai Opera Job Postings
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2016, 06:15 pm »
KMC, which job roles in particular are you looking at? All the roles I can see are Stage Staff, not SM roles.

jman255

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: The wonderful world of Chicago storefront
  • Current Gig: Profiles Theatre
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2016, 10:11 am »
Hey all,

I currently work in Dubai! I've been watching the Opera House going up over the last 2 years. I do not work for the Opera House, but will be applying for a position. It's the first of it's kind for this region, and should be a really great opportunity.

If you have any questions about the city, contracts, etc...feel free to shoot them my way.

*EDIT* If you look now, there are SM and ASM positions open for application.

-Jordan
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2016, 10:24 am by jman255 »

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2016, 02:53 pm »
I am a little afraid to apply - as a woman and as a westerner. Can you speak to this a bit, since you are currently working in the region?

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2016, 02:55 pm »
For any SMs looking for an adventure, Dubai Opera (opening soon) is hiring two stage management positions.  I have no affiliation with this organization and am posting solely as a courtesy to the members here.

http://www.dubaiopera.com/Careers.aspx

The link seems to be broken now  :-[

loebtmc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2016, 03:37 pm »
I got in by typing www.dubaiopera.com. The link to jobs is posted lower on the page.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2016, 05:29 pm »
I am a little afraid to apply - as a woman and as a westerner. Can you speak to this a bit, since you are currently working in the region?

Also, as someone in the LGBT community (and it's quite visually obvious), I'd be interested in your response to this.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 19, 2016, 01:20 am »

Hey Pat - I've been working and living in the region since October.  The questions you ask are pretty natural of any Westerner (man or woman) coming over here, and are questions I asked myself before coming over.  In terms of culture, safety, etc. Dubai is really an island in the middle of a pretty turbulent region.  There really is zero tolerance for any kind of crime.  Offenses that would be considered a misdemeanor in the US can land you in jail or deported here.  The anecdote that was presented to me was that you can leave your car running in the middle of the street and it will run out of gas before it's stolen.

Honestly, I am less worried about crime here than I was while living in major US cities.  My wife has been living here now for a few months and hasn't had any problems or ever felt unsafe.

There is definitely a cultural adjustment, but that part is to be expected - and there really is tolerance (in the true definition of the word) here for global cultures.

Also, as someone in the LGBT community (and it's quite visually obvious), I'd be interested in your response to this.

So, this one is a bit different than Pat's post as homosexuality here is technically illegal.  There most certainly are LGBT folks here and living quite prosperously without issue, but you're walking a line as any romantic encounters could put you in jeopardy.  Are police knocking down doors hunting for LGBT folks?  No, absolutely not - but laws here are selectively enforced.  What's technically illegal and has been ignored for months could be enforced tomorrow. 

If it were me, I'd have trouble living somewhere where a major component of my personal life/existence was not legal.  Unless you're OK with putting your personal life on hold for a year or two while you live here (the experience is definitely one of a kind) I wouldn't recommend this region for LGBT folks.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

loebtmc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 19, 2016, 03:49 am »
Thanks. My other concern would be that Middle Eastern cultures tend to be challenges for women in perceived positions of power or leadership. I would probably be ok as an ASM but I would worry that as SM, it's my battles being heard by men from the 80s all over again.

Assume the pay rates are very nice, yes?

Thanks, I will consider applying.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: Apr 19, 2016, 07:49 am »
Thanks, I don't think I'll go any further then! It's not worth the hassle and the fear for me!

C

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2016, 08:03 am »
When I was working internationally, I was offered a job in Dubai . . . once I made it clear that I would be traveling with my husband (so, two gay guys), and one who is not middle eastern or caucasian, the job was offer was rescinded - for "my protection".  Dubai has a lot of interesting things going for it, but it's economic and social issues are very complicated . . . do some research.  Some people love it there, some people count the minutes until they can leave.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 19, 2016, 09:03 am »
Thanks. My other concern would be that Middle Eastern cultures tend to be challenges for women in perceived positions of power or leadership. I would probably be ok as an ASM but I would worry that as SM, it's my battles being heard by men from the 80s all over again.

Assume the pay rates are very nice, yes?

Thanks, I will consider applying.

So - I'm here building a few theme parks, and I'm here only for this project - so my frame of reference is limited to this project.  I work with VERY few local Emiratis or nationals from other GCC countries.  Most of the folks on the show side of things are Westerners.  Most of the folks on the construction side are from India, Pakistan, etc... 

I have seen men from some of the more "traditional" cultures interact with Western women in positions of authority here.  The first reaction is usually some shock that *gasp* a woman is in a position of authority.  From my limited exposure here, though, once it's immediately clear that the woman they are talking to knows her shit then it's OK. 

As far as pay rates, I couldn't really tell you.  My situation is a bit unique in that I'm a full time employee of my employer  in the US, and I signed a temporary assignment contract to come work out of our office in Dubai to complete the project. 

Dubai is an interesting place, really.  It's a true melting pot of cultures.  While I've never felt unsafe here or even a threat of terrorism, the reality is we're really close to a whole lot of people who don't like Westerners at all.  It wouldn't take much for things to go sideways here.  I've got a folder at home that has our passports, all important documents, and enough cash to get home.  If things do descend, I'm fully prepared to grab my wife and that folder, drive my car to the airport, put us on a plane with only the clothes on our backs, and never look back.  It's a weird thing to have in the back of your mind.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2016, 09:08 am by KMC »

jman255

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: The wonderful world of Chicago storefront
  • Current Gig: Profiles Theatre
« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2016, 01:19 pm »
Hey guys,

I would like to answer a few of the concerns or questions you might have. Let me start off by saying, I work in a theatre & night club in Dubai. We bring in incredibly circus and specialty acts from all over the world. In addition to that, we have a core group of 2 singers and 3 to 5 dancers. Our "core" group is extremely Western, and our specialty acts, like I said, come from everywhere (China, Ukraine, Russia, USA, Australia, Mexico, etc...). This place is a MELTING pot. Please look at this chart regarding breakdown by nationality. Another note that may be beneficial (or not?) is I am 28 years old white male from Texas. This is my perspective:

And yes, you did read it correctly. In addition to it being a theatre, I also work in a NIGHT CLUB. Our main revenue is ridiculously expensive bottles of champagne and more vodka than you could ever imagine consuming. This is point #1 -- Dubai is very progressive. The fact that alcohol can be readily purchased, and is an incredible source or revenue for companies & government, is only the beginning of a huge line of changes. You don't see alcohol in public places much in the middle east.

Point #2 - This is the safest place I have ever lived. Expanding on what was mentioned before, this town is basically a police state...in the nicest way possible. Crime is basically nonexistent. I have yet to hear of anyone getting burglarized, car broken into/stolen, or anything of the sort. Anything you might consider a petty crime could land you in jail. I cannot tell you how many times I have left my wallet or phone on a table in a busy place and come back to it untouched. To be honest, you rarely see police officers.

Point #3 - Being a woman. I work with dancers. Not the ballerina kind of dancers, but commercial dancers. They are your typical, sexy, fun loving, carefree dancers. While I have 3 working with me now, I have had about 15 come through during my tenure here, so I consider myself well-versed when it comes to those issues (while not first hand). They have felt 0 prejudice. The worst thing I have heard is they were approached in the mall during a holiday and handed a card that says, "If you could please purchase something to cover up a little bit more to respect the culture" or something along those lines. Also, feel free to apply for the SM position if you feel you are qualified! I've met plenty of women who are THE person in charge. Remember, you will be working with mostly touring companies. The production and management staff will most likely be western. The person interviewing you for the job will probably be from the UK...

Point #4 - homosexuality. Preface: I am not gay, but I am a huge gay activist. I work in the arts, for Christ's sake. If you are not accepting of most everyone, you are in the wrong business, right? With that said, I know and work with many gay people here in Dubai. While it is technically "haram" to be gay, it really doesn't ...stop people. It's just something you don't flaunt to the world. Let's put it this way -- a heterosexual couple has to withhold from public displays of affection. Kissing, dancing too close, cuddling, etc... is not really accepted in public, regardless of sexual preference. Things like that are strictly for closed doors. Honestly, you don't want to get pregnant while not married or you could get into some serious trouble.

Point #5 - Being a Westerner (specifically USA). There is a 'caste system' here. Westerners are somewhere near the top, especially USA. This 'system' directly impacts your salaries and treatment in the workplace. This is one of the main causes of culture shock that I endured. It is very rare that you see a Filipino as a CEO, GM, or any high position. Mostly, you will see them working the counter of a coffee shop or restaurant. Indians and Pakistanis, you will see as the laborers -- building all the buildings, doing the road work, driving cabs etc... While these jobs are incredibly vital to the city's growth and sustainability, they are paid peanuts in comparison. It is difficult to witness at first, but (I hate to say this), it's something you get used to.

Point #6 - Salaries. I will talk about my contract and what the Dubai Opera will most likely provide. There are two major types of contracts: fixed and continuous. I work on a continuous contract. Basically, after I passed my probationary period (6 months), my contract will continue. Fixed contracts typically have a time period -- my girlfriend is a teacher. Her contract is 2 years. Typically, the difference has to do with Visa renewals and the like. Most all contracts provide a monthly salary (approx 60%), other expenditures (approx 40%), a housing allowance (if accommodation is not already provided), and health insurance. The contract at Dubai Opera will most likely be a continuous contract. When it comes to specific numbers, I make WAY more than I did as a non-union freelancer. I imagine the salary for the top management positions in Dubai Opera to range anywhere from $40k-$70k per year...tax free (oh yeah, another huge benefit).

Point #7 - One simple the things that keeps me here, doing what I do, is I am the beginning of something massive. Dubai is a city that is not even 50 years old, and has only gotten big over the past 20 years. This place is ripe, it's new, and it's lacking an art culture (honestly, it's lacking culture. Period). This place is really breaking away from the typical Muslim/Middle Eastern ways of life. I am at the forefront of bringing that culture here.  I am creating dinner theatre and entertainment for people who have never seen anything like this before! In 100 years when the history of Middle Eastern theatre and entertainment is being taught in the classrooms, my company will be in one of the first chapters! It's exciting. The rules are ONLY being created.

A few small points - EVERYONE speaks English, most people wear normal clothes, and yes, there is a ski slope in the mall. I didn't have to change anything about my lifestyle after moving here.

I don't know if this was very helpful...I hope it was. This is honestly the first time I've ever put fingers to keys and wrote about my experience here, so apologies if it seems a little scattered. I could honestly write a small novel about all the observations I have of this place. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out to me.
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2016, 01:27 pm by jman255 »

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2016, 06:26 am »

Point #4 - homosexuality. Preface: I am not gay, but I am a huge gay activist. I work in the arts, for Christ's sake. If you are not accepting of most everyone, you are in the wrong business, right? With that said, I know and work with many gay people here in Dubai. While it is technically "haram" to be gay, it really doesn't ...stop people. It's just something you don't flaunt to the world. Let's put it this way -- a heterosexual couple has to withhold from public displays of affection. Kissing, dancing too close, cuddling, etc... is not really accepted in public, regardless of sexual preference. Things like that are strictly for closed doors. Honestly, you don't want to get pregnant while not married or you could get into some serious trouble.

Thanks for your very in-depth reply to everyone's questions. However, I would like to point out that while I said I was part of the LGBT community, I didn't say I was gay....focus on the T part!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2016, 01:29 pm »
Hey jman255 - I think I interviewed for the job you have.

The issue I have with the homosexuality and this was the case for me and my husband - was the relocating for me was always going to be easy, with a company sponsoring the visa, and all the work permits . . . but bringing a spouse over is difficult, almost impossible, in any place where my relationship is deemed illegal - and can carry prison sentences. 

When I consulted a immigration lawyer, I just felt like . . . well, why move to a country where I am just not wanted.  You know?  Yes, the reality is that homosexuality will always exist, no matter the legal standing.  But at my age and position in life, I just don't want to live with the threat of being deported on the whim of the government. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.