Author Topic: Covid-19 cancelled job on resume?  (Read 9913 times)

ProfSM

• Tourist
    • View Profile
  • Experience: College/Graduate
Covid-19 cancelled job on resume?
« on: Apr 15, 2020, 11:47 am »
Most of my students have lost their summer stock positions for this summer because of Covid-19.  Should they still list the job on their resumes since they did get the job but were unable to work?  Should they indicate that it was cancelled due to Covid-19?

EDIT

Also:  What if a SM was in rehearsals and just about to go into tech when a show was cancelled due to Covid-19?  Would they still not put that on their resume even if they were involved with the rehearsal process?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:10 am by ProfSM »

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
Re: Covid-19 cancelled job on resume?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2020, 02:04 pm »
Excellent question being asked by many people right now. One of the key points raised is whether or not a contract has been signed, or at least offered. Most of what I'm hearing is that it can be mentioned in a cover letter but not on the resume, since they didn't actually work there.

BenTheStageMan

• Contributor
  • Sometimes all you need in life is a little Blue.
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Current Gig: Olney Theatre Center, Olney MD
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2020, 03:17 pm »
While I sometimes do list upcoming shows (notated as "Upcoming"), I do think it's disingenuous to list a cancelled project if you know it's been canceled.  The Resume is a list of experiences not just theoretical work.
"Show people are doomed!  Doomed to a life of booze...and pills...and heavy meals late at night!" -Judy, "Ruthless!"

RuthNY

• BTDT Editors
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA Eastern Region Stage Manager Councilor
  • Current Gig: ALABASTER
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2020, 10:59 am »
I would choose to discuss that in my cover letter but NOT include it on my resume.

Most of my students have lost their summer stock positions for this summer because of Covid-19.  Should they still list the job on their resumes since they did get the job but were unable to work?  Should they indicate that it was cancelled due to Covid-19?
"Be fair with others, but then keep after them until they're fair with you."
--Alan Alda

NJ.JerrySmith

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • Jerry Smith | Stage Manager
  • Affiliations: AGMA
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2020, 06:52 pm »
I had planned on keeping the shows that had been canceled and noting them with a special flag (like I do for world premieres, current projects, etc). They are also however moving to the top of my list to remove from my resume once other credits can replace them. 

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2020, 02:59 am »
In the resume, no - absolutely not!

If you worked the job but it never opened, then yes, because you worked the role (although I might note that the show never opened).... but if you were successful in getting the job and then the job fell through for other reasons - you don't list it. You gained no experience from it.

It is certainly something that can be talked in within the cover letter for a few months. Maybe a year, at most. More to do with how excited you were to be selected for the opportunity and disappointed that it did not eventuate due to COVID-19. Maybe a sentence or 2 at most.

Every employer is expecting to see a gap in peoples resumes over this period - so having that gap in the resume is not an issue.