Author Topic: ARTICLE: How to Network like a Pro  (Read 6059 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
ARTICLE: How to Network like a Pro
« on: May 20, 2013, 04:13 am »
I know I need to work on my networking skills . . .

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-network-like-a-pro-2010-4?op=1

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: ARTICLE: How to Network like a Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:30 am »
Every time I read one of these articles I realize how poor I actually am at maintaining my professional network.  I'm great at connecting with new people, but I often neglect those I've fallen out of touch with or don't speak to on a regular basis.  A couple of steps I'm going to take to correct that:
  • Anytime I am tempted by a social network during business hours, I'll peruse LinkedIn instead of Facebook.  If I'm going to have interaction, it will be professional.
  • Reach out to one contact every day that I haven't talked to in 6+ months.  I started with "A" today, and was able to help an old friend who is involved with a Catholic parish fundraising effort connect with a high level contact in managed giving at the Archdiocese of Miami.  A successful start!
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

NomieRae

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA, Adelphi University
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:14 pm »
Great article, and very important.

Networking is sometimes the only thing that drags me to that 20th staged reading in a month, because I know when it comes down to it that spending the two hours enjoying a new work and incidentally bumping into dozens of people I have worked with or would like to meet is worth it.

I will freely admit it is so hard for me to meet new people in a networking environment, but have tried to be better at asking current colleagues to introduce me as a buffer to smooth the transition. Sometimes it is awkward as hell, but better than kicking myself over it later for not making an effort. 
--Naomi
"First, I honor life, and with it my life in theatre." -- Jacques Burdick

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:06 am »
I know I need to kick my networking into overdrive when I get back to NYC.

At the same time, it always feels so "sleazy" to me - I need to get over it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Jessie_K

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • International Stage Manager of Mystery
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA (on leave)
  • Current Gig: Queen of the Night
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:21 am »
It is sleazy.  But not bad sleazy.  And yes, just get over it. 

I just wrote a cover letter that made me want to vomit in my own mouth is was so sleazy/networky-- blah.  But that's how it all works.

ETA: Matthew I'm sure you are a better networker than you think.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:30 am by Jessie_K »

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:02 am »
I know I need to kick my networking into overdrive when I get back to NYC.

At the same time, it always feels so "sleazy" to me - I need to get over it.

It's sleazy if you're only networking when you need a job or when you need a specific favor.  The relationship should be mutually beneficial.  The key is to add value to the counterpart in your professional relationship. 

I get that the "salesman speak" can feel canned and artificial, but I think it's that most of us are uncomfortable selling ourselves to the degree we need to be sold to get to where we want to be.

If you're always taking and not giving, then yes it's sleazy - but if it's mutually beneficial, you both win - and what is sleazy about that? 

Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 01:19 pm »
I think KMC and the article have it exactly right. You can't network only to get work or a mentor. The way I think about it is that I want everyone I met, however briefly, to have a good impression of me. I could lead to nothing, or they could read my name again on a resume later, they could recognize me later (a not insignificant chunk of my work has come from running into someone I know right when they were looking for a stage manager). So, I don't really suck up, I only talk about my experience if it comes up naturally. I do let them know who I am, what I do; then I'm just nice. I try to be polite, have an appropriate sense of humor, and relaxed. I can't point to any specific instance and say "this is a time a got a job by being nice," but I do often walk into interviews with people who say they've heard nice things about me. Not gonna get me the gig right out, but it certainly helps to know you're starting with a positive impression.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 01:10 pm »
Seemingly like clockwork our friends at Lifehacker published this piece today:  How to Skip the Sleaze and Build a Real Professional Network

riotous