Author Topic: Child Wrangling  (Read 16910 times)

kallulah

Re: Child Wrangling
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 08:15 am »
Yep.  I'm also a teacher by day so working with teenagers is definitely not something new to me. 

My issue is, I've gotten accustomed to a disctinctive professional atmosphere that working with kids just floors me back to reality.

Celeste_SM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 05:57 pm »
Child wranglers are key to my sanity as a stage manager.  I love having great crew!

BeccaTheSM

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • Becca Pickett
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 06:04 pm »
This summer I'm ASMing at a summerstock, and we have a few shows with kids. Right now we're in the middle of performing Annie Get Your Gun. There are 4 kids. I have a 12 year old girl, two 9-year old girls, and a 10-year old boy. We have a "backstage parent" but they are mostly there to keep the kids quiet/entertained in their dressing room when not onstage. None of the parents know the show enough to get them anywhere on time. So it's now my job. I don't really mind, since it miraculously works out that my track follows their entrances almost exactly. And the few times I have to drop them off by the wing and run somewhere else, I know I can trust the 12-year old to keep them in line. Self-wrangling children....

The biggest problem I have is that the director has created a comic bit where Little Jake (the 10-year old) is eating chocolate cake almost every time he appears onstage. The SM and I anticipated this being a sugar rush issue, so we cut small pieces (about 1-inch squares) which he eats 4 times during the show. During tech, the director asked for double the cake each time. So this kid eats 8 pieces of cake each show. And there are several days during the run with 2 shows in a day. By the end of the second show, the kid is bouncing off the walls, driving me insane.

The girls are great, though...
Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos. - Stephen Sondheim

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2010, 06:22 pm »
wow - my sympathies!

is there a way to use sugar-free/diabetic cake, to save you some hassle and stress?

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 11:00 pm »
Definitely less appealing for a kid, but what about pumpernickel bread?
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

dallas10086

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Freelance PSM; currently Charlotte Squawks 12
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 01:16 pm »
Child wrangling is how I wiggled my way onto the SM team of Turandot at VA Opera. No one on the team wanted the task of watching 16 kids and they were about 2 seconds away from drawing straws. I said I'd do it on the condition that I'd get to watch all the rehearsals and shadow them when I didn't have the kids. They said yes before I finished my sentence. And it was a tour, so I finally got to do a touring production!

Honestly it wasn't bad at all. They were all really good kids and aside from two minor incidences I didn't have any problems with them. I did it again for Annie and Oliver! and out of all of those productions I only had one crazy stage parent! Besides, if you want to be a stage manager, if you can handle a crowd of kids without killing any of them you can handle any manic actor that comes your way.