Author Topic: Blacklist of companies for SMs?  (Read 10878 times)

ljh007

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
Re: Blacklist of companies for SMs?
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2009, 05:50 pm »
Some members of SMNet have come at this question from the other side, and I think it works very well. When they are thinking about working for X company, they post on our boards: "Has anyone ever worked for X?" And other members respond by PM only. This gets valuable feedback to the inquiring member while maintaining confidentiality issues and the integrity of this site.

As Kay said, we have tried some sort of list in the past, and it hasn't seemed to meet the members' needs.

missliz

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Site
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 08:27 pm »
There's a website that might be helpful:

www.nonequitydeputy.com

granted, it can be a bit biased, but it does have a lot of information (positive and negative) about a lot of regional and touring companies.
I personally would like to bring a tortoise onto the stage, turn it into a racehorse, then into a hat, a song, a dragon and a fountain of water. One can dare anything in the theatre and it is the place where one dares the least. -Ionesco

loebtmc

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SAG, AFTRA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Caroling, caroling now we go — and looking for my next gig!
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #17 on: Jun 14, 2009, 12:17 pm »
I was thinking abt this list when I saw that a particularly....challenging actor had been hired at a theater in PA and wanted to discretely figure out if I could warn the SM - I can't affect her casting (I don't find the actor so freakin' amazing but CDs and directors seem to be sucked in), but I wrestled with it being only fair to give the SM a heads up of what was coming their way -

of course, better judgment won out, and  I must hope this person will shoot themselves in the foot and/or finally  learn some difficult but vital lessons BUT it is so tempting to share this info.

Which is why this blacklist being completely private is so vital. It is not my places to destroy someone's career before they start, and everyone deserves a second chance and maybe even a third (we all have bad days - yes, even SMs).

riotous