Author Topic: ARTICLE: WHERE WILL YOU BE IN FIVE YEARS  (Read 3872 times)

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
  • Experience: Professional
ARTICLE: WHERE WILL YOU BE IN FIVE YEARS
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:33 pm »
http://blogs.hbr.org/hmu/2011/03/where-will-you-be-in-five-year.html?cm_sp=most_widget-_-blog_posts-_-Where%20Will%20You%20Be%20in%20Five%20Years%3F

Now, granted this is VERY business orientated, but I think there is some good info to pull from this.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

Maribeth

• Superstar!
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
Re: ARTICLE: WHERE WILL YOU BE IN FIVE YEARS
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:51 am »
I like this article- I started making a "five year plan" last year, and when it came time to start looking for jobs for this season, I was really pleased at how much the act of writing down the plan helped me shape my season. Much more so than in recent years, I felt like I was working towards a specific goal, rather than just filling my calendar and making sure I can pay rent.

From the article: "You have to clarify for yourself what you aspire to do with your career before you can communicate it confidently to others." Writing down what was important to me in a job and where I wanted to be in the future clarified for me what I wanted, in the short term and the long term. I don't feel tied down to this document- it's something that is going to change every year. But it was something that I wish I had done a few years ago. I think I would have made better career choices as a young stage manager if I had done this.

I made a template that works for me- it has goals/steps that I want to accomplish for the next 3-6 months, 6-12 months, and beyond 12 months. It has longer-term (five year) goals, skills I want to develop, qualities that I value in a workplace, and personal goals.

Writing this all down really helped me realize what I wanted, and allowed me to take more concrete steps towards getting there.

riotous