Author Topic: Abbreviations on Resumes  (Read 7315 times)

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
  • Experience: Professional
Abbreviations on Resumes
« on: Jun 06, 2009, 03:25 pm »
I'm updating my resume and I have it down to about one page, but it only fits on one page if I abbreviate stage manager and assistant stage manager as SM and ASM. For those of you doing hiring, would you rather see the abbreviation or the resume going slightly over a page?
Thanks!

MatthewShiner

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: Freelance Stage Manager; Faculty for UMKC
Re: Abbreviations on Resumes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2009, 04:07 pm »
PA, SM, ASM, PSM I would fully expect to see on a resume.  I don't think you need to spell them out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anything posted here as in my own personal opinion, and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of my employer - whomever they be at a given moment in time.

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2009, 06:47 pm »
I would agree with Matthew that PSM, SM, etc are ok to abbreviate, however, other abbreviations (such as the name of your school or theatre company) are not great.   Especially if you have written it out once,  it is confusing and looks lazy to use an abbreviation later in your resume (my opinion only!!).
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

gotracigo

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • www.tracigaydos.com
  • Current Gig: Production Stage Manager
« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2009, 08:22 pm »
Abbreviations such as asm, pa, psm, etc.,  are just fine.  I also think it's acceptable to use abbreviations for schools in order to conserve space.  For example, I reference KCPA-UIUC under the companies I've worked for, but I clarify if further under my education section as Krannert Center for the Performing Arts (KCPA) at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign (UIUC). There hasn't seemed to be questions in my interviews about where I did those shows.
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer.

Bwoodbury

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • bridgetwoodbury.com
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2009, 10:43 pm »
I haven't found the need to abbreviate schools yet, but I am abbreviating PM and TD. I don't think any of it is stuff that it's common industry abbreviation. I just wasn't sure if it would be seen as lazy or space-conservative.

KMC

• Forum Moderators
    • View Profile
  • Current Gig: Project Manager, Systems Integration
  • Experience: Former SM
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2009, 02:49 am »
The abbreviations you've mentioned are the industry standard.  However, out of the theatre industry you may want to be a bit more job/role specific.  Depends on the job for which you're applying.
Get action. Do things; be sane; don’t fritter away your time; create, act, take a place wherever you are and be somebody; get action. -T. Roosevelt