Poll

Which is the more useful website?

Doodle
3 (11.1%)
Web Calendar
24 (88.9%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: WEBSITE, Round 2: Doodle vs. Web Calendar  (Read 5445 times)

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
WEBSITE, Round 2: Doodle vs. Web Calendar
« on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:17 am »
To schedule, or.....I'm not even going to finish that sentence- the answer is obviously “to schedule!” But what's your weapon of choice?

Doodle- Is there anything greater than a site that has each individual member register their availability, and then tell you what the best meeting time is? Anything that saves you the back and forth schedule inquiry emails (“Is everyone free on the 6th at noon? No? How about at 2p? Or the 7th, but only between 11a and 11:30a?”) is a great scheduling tool and worthy of consideration for your vote in this showdown of time management.

However, Doodle has a worthy competitor in Web Calendar, one of the staples of the stage manager's (and theaters') toolbox. The ease of access, the many layers of information available, the compatibility with mobile devices.....All strong skills by this popular series of websites. The possibilities with Web Calendar are endless, from a quick-glance view of the rehearsal schedule, an overview of the load-in and tech calendar, managing your own personal meeting calendar, to keeping track of colleagues' birthdays. Web Calendar's going to be a tough one to beat! Is Doodle scrappy enough to knock WC out? Cast your vote!

The winner will compete with Webmail, a strong Round 1 winner, in the sweet 16.

Poll remains open through midnight at the end of December 7, EST.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2014, 12:32 am by Maribeth »

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
Re: WEBSITE, Round 2: Doodle vs. Web Calendar
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2014, 02:22 am »
I have to say, when I picked Doodle for the opening roster I wanted to draw more attention to it, but I didn't think it would actually register any votes. I'm pleased to see it's actually nabbed a couple of points on the board.

Out of curiosity, since it's such an underdog, would one of the folks on team Doodle be willing to step up and explain why they chose it?

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2014, 09:08 am »
I'm a Doodle voter.

I picked it purely for the reason that I use it far more than I use my Apple Calendar . I very rarely receive invites that way, and I never send them out. I'm a big user of a paper diary (Moleskine FTW!), and that has proven reliable enough for me.

If Apple Calendar (or Outlook, or another alternative) doesn't count as WebCal for any reason (as well it might), then my vote becomes even stronger - I don't even know what WebCal is!

I just don't see a huge benefit for switching away from Paper.

C

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:43 am »
Web Calendar covers any online-based calendar- Apple Calendar, Google calendar, etc.

iamchristuffin

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • www.christuffin.co.uk
  • Affiliations: UK SMA, UK Equity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:53 am »
I thought it would, so my point still stands. I just don't use it!

LSteckman

• New to Town
    • View Profile
    • My professional website
  • Affiliations: University of Evansville, Barter Theatre, EMC
  • Current Gig: PA at Barter Theatre
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2014, 12:08 pm »
I use web calendars for my personal scheduling, but as part of my job I use Doodle (and similar variants, like WhenIsGood) a lot more. They're particularly useful, I think, for companies where theatre isn't everyone's fulltime job. When you have other, major commitments, sometimes it's a huge pain to find a good time for a production meeting or a script meeting or whatever other type of meeting, and I can either send five hundred emails, or one Doodle invitation.

Of course, getting people to (promptly and accurately) fill out Doodle is a challenge in itself :)

Mac Calder

• Forum Moderators
  • Plan for the future, live for the now
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Live Performance Australia / Media Arts and Entertainment Alliance
  • Current Gig: Technical Director
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2014, 04:55 am »
I am fairly lucky in that where I work we are all on exchange. We can all see each others availability.