Poll

Which is the better social media tool?

SMNetwork
29 (100%)
Pinterest
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: SOCIAL, Round 3: SMNetwork vs Pinterest  (Read 5521 times)

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
SOCIAL, Round 3: SMNetwork vs Pinterest
« on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:03 am »
Here it is, ladies and gentlemen! The entrance of the much-lauded SMNetwork into the tournament. The crowd-sourced reference for Stage Managers is bound to garner the popular vote- let's see how far it can go in this competition! It's competing with Pinterest, the popular image-based site with its own loyal group of fans, in this first round.

The facts:

SMNetwork boasts a membership of more than 5000 stage managers of all ages, levels of experience, and interests. It has threads on a multitude of topics, from the “big picture” questions to the minutiae of everyday SM life. SMNetwork has a strong team this year, with boards on Employment, Tools of the Trade, Plays and Musicals, and Students and Novices, just to name a few. Its secret weapon is the search bar, allowing users to access a treasure trove of information contained in previous posts. This team has made some smart plays during the regular season – the addition of the Internship Survey and Been There, Done That have brought new levels of utility to the site.

Pinterest is certainly more focused on the personal than the professional, but this site really is what you make of it! It's more than just DIY craft ideas: Search for a new hairdo for work, “how to dress for professional success”, find a new bag for carrying scripts around...just some of the ideas this crowd-sourced site provides. You never know what tidbit you'll stumble across on this site- a recent trip to Pinterest-land unearthed a list of keyboard shortcuts, exercises you can do at your desk, and some easy lunch ideas to pack and take with you.

Cast your vote in this Social showdown!

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
Re: SOCIAL, Round 3: SMNetwork vs Pinterest
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:06 am »
Note: per IDMC ruling, I am benched for this particular match.

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2014, 09:45 pm »
Well, it seems that this match is no contest. So far not a one Pinterest supporter has made a peep. (Not entirely surprising given that this game is on SMNetwork's home turf. Is this match going to be a shutout?

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2014, 01:28 pm »
.....this hardly seems fair... ;)

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2014, 03:28 pm »
I'm hoping folks who are voting for SMNet are doing so because they legit think it's the better site. I can't see who has voted unless you openly confess to it afterwards, so it's not like I'm gonna ban you for liking Pinterest more. :)

ScooterSM

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: SMA
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2014, 04:01 pm »
It is not even a question.  SMNetwork is hands down a better site. I am sure Pinterest has its uses, but this is the obvious winner.
“I've never been paid a lot, but the theatre has kept me, and for that I shall be eternally grateful.” Tony Church

bex

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Affiliations: AEA, Auburn University
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM/ASM
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2014, 05:12 pm »
In terms of which website helps me be a better SM and makes it easier to do my job? SMNet HANDS DOWN!
You will have to sing for your supper & your mortgage, your dental coverage & your children's shoes, over & over again while people in desk jobs roll their eyes the minute you start to complain. So it's a good thing you like to sing.

smejs

• Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA, AGMA, SMA, USITT
  • Current Gig: Freelance SM in Denver
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:14 pm »
For a social site, Pinterest has its uses, and particularly has been helpful for some designers to brainstorm design concepts. I use it personally for craft projects, etc. But on a strictly stage management usefulness level, certainly SMNetwork ranks higher.

riotous