Poll

Which is the better social media tool?

SMNetwork
23 (88.5%)
LinkedIn
3 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: SOCIAL Division Semis: LinkedIn vs SMNetwork  (Read 9130 times)

Maribeth

• View Profile
  • Affiliations: AEA
  • Experience: Former SM
SOCIAL Division Semis: LinkedIn vs SMNetwork
« on: Dec 18, 2014, 12:00 am »
In this Social Semi-final, we've got two strong contenders from the first round. Both easily defeated their first round competitors- who will come out on top?

SMNetwork's got the homecourt advantage again in this match. LinkedIn's bringing its game with the employment-based offense, but doesn't have the shear variety of strategies that SMNetwork brings to the table. Which one will advance to the Elite 8?

Cast your vote!

VilleSM

• New to Town
    • View Profile
  • Affiliations: Community Theatre League, SCCT, The Wilma
  • Experience: Community Theatre
Re: SOCIAL Division Semis: LinkedIn vs SMNetwork
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2014, 03:46 pm »
As far as Stage Management is concerned: SMNetwork all the way.
-> Can you find literally HUNDREDS of useful forms that other SMs have been kind enough to upload so you just have to download and edit them on LinkedIn?
-> Can you easily search through past topics in order to prevent yet ANOTHER thread about Stage Management Apps (ugh) on LinkedIn?
-> Is LinkedIn moderated by extremely cool people IN YOUR FIELD? (I thought not)

While LinkedIn is good for connecting to people who you have worked with or might work with in the future, so is SMNetwork.
I expect a landslide.
"The stage is not merely the meeting place of all the arts, but is also the return of art to life." - Oscar Wilde

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2014, 04:27 pm »
-> Is LinkedIn moderated by extremely cool people IN YOUR FIELD? (I thought not)

^This. The moderating team here is one of the main reasons why this site remains pertinent after all this time. Love those guys. MMMWAH.

Michelle R. Wood

• SM Expert
    • View Profile
    • website
  • Affiliations: EMC, East Carolina University
  • Current Gig: Resident Stage Manager at Temple Theatre
  • Experience: Professional
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2014, 10:07 am »
I'll be the contrarian here: while I love this site, and highly recommend it, I have to say that I think LinkedIn is just a tad more useful as a social network. I view this site as being very useful for a specific set of information (all things stage management), but it's very specificity (while good for info and tips) limits it in terms of connecting with other professionals outside this subset of the population. Just the other night I was at a local theatre's meeting planning their next season, met someone who also works in the film industry (which I'm trying to break into), and we exchanged contact info. I then looked him up on LinkedIn, connected, and now have a dedicated means of sharing my experience with him in all my various professional lives (outside of just stage management).

Bottom line: SMNetwork is the place to go for pure SM matters; for everything else, there's LinkedIn.
"Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration." -- Thomas Edison (Harper's Magazine, 1932)

nick_tochelli

• Loved and Missed.
  • Permanent Resident
    • View Profile
    • Nick Tochelli's Blog: The Backstage Ballet
  • Affiliations: AEA, SMA
  • Current Gig: PM- Godlight Theatre Company/Inside Sales:Barbizon Lighting
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2014, 04:24 pm »
I'm amused that both competitions right now are running at the same score.

PSMKay

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.smnetwork.org
  • Affiliations: None.
  • Current Gig: SMNetwork *is* my production.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2014, 05:27 pm »
Yes, we've got a similarly massive point spread on 3 out of 4 matches right now. When SMs like something they like it en masse.